Interestingly enough...

Story: Proprietary Ideology: Doing the Same Thing and Expecting Different ResultsTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
land0

Mar 07, 2009
12:22 PM EDT
..."Doing the Same Thing and Expecting Different Results" is also an excepted definition for a fool. Hmmm...
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 07, 2009
12:29 PM EDT
Actually its one of the definitions for insanity..but close enough..;-)
caitlyn

Mar 07, 2009
2:28 PM EDT
I do think that while Carla has a point here that the problem of short-term thinking is pretty much endemic in American business and American society as a whole. Proprietary software is just a part of a much bigger problem.
DiBosco

Mar 07, 2009
7:13 PM EDT
The issue isn't just limited to American business, caitlyn, I am sorry to say,
tracyanne

Mar 07, 2009
7:57 PM EDT
Definitely not limited to American businesses.
caitlyn

Mar 07, 2009
8:08 PM EDT
Well... I said American society as a whole. Perhaps I should have said Western society as a whole. However, since I am not at all up to date on how European businesses think and I haven't even been to Australia I didn't feel qualified to comment on other places.
montezuma

Mar 08, 2009
9:40 AM EDT
It's a function of the rapid decay time of discussion and ideas. If a new idea doesn't take hold in public discourse in the US within a few news cycles it is considered irrelevant by many. If a company does not deliver money to shareholders within 6 months it is considered a failure by many. The truth or value of the idea is only of secondary importance. What is more important is popular impact. Andy Warhol and Marshall McLuhan saw this coming decades ago.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!