Any Suggestions for an Old Doorstop?

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
DarrenR114

Mar 20, 2009
12:28 PM EDT
I have an old laptop (it's an ARM) with the same Phoenix BIOS as the old Dell Latitude laptops. It has no CD drive or floppy drive, nor the capability to boot from USB. Previously, I've installed Linux on this laptop by putting the harddrive into Dell Latitude laptops that had CD drives. I want to do things a bit differently this go around. I have an IDE-to-USB adapter that allows me to hook up the harddrive to any computer as an external, USB harddrive. I've attempted to install Debian from a Net Install CD onto the now-USB drive, putting GRUB on the first partition and modifying the menu.lst (several times.)

I've gotten past the original "Error 15" that GRUB was giving me, by modifying the menu.lst file. Now, when I try to start up the laptop, it freezes up with the word GRUB in the upper left corner.

I don't want to have to insert this harddrive into another laptop simply to utilise the CD drive.

Anyone have any ideas, or example menu.lst files that I can work off of?

I've tried using the UUID instead of the device path, and that doesn't give any better results.

You cannot post until you login.