an "official website"? Oh, it's Ubuntu, yet again

Story: Windows Guy Cuffs MicrosoftTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
gus3

Apr 15, 2009
12:13 AM EDT
Oh well, if it weren't Ubuntu, it would be Red Hat/Fedora.
ColonelPanik

Apr 15, 2009
11:32 AM EDT
Dvorak does not like anything, ever. This some kind of April fools joke. helios was had, he fell for it.

gus3.0: If its Linux, its Linux. Good enough.
lcafiero

Apr 15, 2009
11:40 AM EDT
Actually, Colonel, this came out a while ago (I think the site where this ran, PC Magazine's site, has a date stamp of March 9), so it's not a joke. But the fact remains that despite Dvorak's decades-long career in writing about tech, many find him to be a crank.

Personally, I don't find him to be a crank, and I find this to be a pretty good article. I hope it takes, despite the fact I'm not really an Ubuntu guy.
ColonelPanik

Apr 15, 2009
11:53 AM EDT
/Colonel/sarcasm helios isn't that easy.

bigg

Apr 15, 2009
11:53 AM EDT
Ubuntu is now pushing Linux distros in the direction of looking better. This might help recruit more new users such as Dvorak.

I've been using Jaunty on my laptop for a couple months now, and have seen the improvements. The login screen, the notifications, improved icons, and a "New Wave" theme that I love. For me, the important features of an OS are security, stability, and maintenance time, but it sure is nice to see some of this stuff get organized and better looking.

The reason I originally tested Jaunty was because of the need to hook up the laptop and make presentations. It has really improved in that respect. Ubuntu is certainly not a bad representative to the rest of the world IMO. Others will be seeing presentations using an OS that (again IMO) is as nice as anything else out there.
machiner

Apr 15, 2009
12:44 PM EDT
Quoting:While the various Linux desktops generally aren't as polished as Vista, they are functional and easily as slick as Windows 2000...

Is he kidding?

I read the article with a scournful eye but was generally pleased and important things were said. Maybe people that need to read such actually do read this guy. I dunno.

I'm not happy that Ubuntu is our emissary as I see too much of duct-tape and paper-clips, but it's Linux, it certainly can rock, and there ya go.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!