tracyanne

Apr 19, 2009
1:47 AM EDT
But I ignore it
gus3

Apr 19, 2009
4:00 AM EDT
My OS says I need more chocolate.

Lucky for me, I keep a stash next to the computers.
peragrin

Apr 19, 2009
11:21 AM EDT
When my work computers think I am done working for the day they crash. It is the only thing i enjoy about using windows. I rarely have to work an 8 hour day.

unfortunately I don't have such problems at home.

Bob_Robertson

Apr 19, 2009
12:04 PM EDT
My wife tells me I like Linux because I have to tweak it constantly.

I tell her it needs it only because I fiddle with it constantly.

Did I mention I like standard transmissions?
tuxtom

Apr 20, 2009
4:03 AM EDT
My OS tells me I'm a perverted pirate.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 20, 2009
8:37 AM EDT
> My OS tells me I'm a perverted pirate.

No, that's the fact that you have a broadband connection.
tuxtom

Apr 20, 2009
10:34 AM EDT
Don't tell my OS that...it's awfully jealous.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 20, 2009
1:36 PM EDT
> perverted pirate

What would that be, a stolen copy of RedHat Enterprise?
caitlyn

Apr 20, 2009
2:29 PM EDT
@Bob: You can't steal Red Hat Enterprise Linux. It's GPL code. The sources are freely available for download. Red Hat just doesn't provide ready to go binaries unless you buy a software subscription from them. The main thing you get from the subscription isn't the code or even the binaries; it's service and support.
gus3

Apr 20, 2009
3:16 PM EDT
caitlyn,

I thought there were proprietary programs in RHEL? Isn't the CentOS selling point that they replace them with GPL'd stuff?
caitlyn

Apr 20, 2009
3:21 PM EDT
@gus3: AFAIK there is nothing proprietary in RHEL. There are add-on apps that are proprietary but nothing in the OS is. What CentOS does is remove the Red Hat branding to avoid trademark infringement. At least that's the way it was when I was working for Red Hat and I don't believe anything has changed in that respect.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 20, 2009
4:04 PM EDT
> Isn't the CentOS selling point that they replace them with GPL'd stuff?

That was my understanding as well.

Oh well, in the case of there being more GPL than I thought, I am very glad to be wrong.

Then I'll change that to "pirate a binary copy of RHEL".
caitlyn

Apr 20, 2009
4:13 PM EDT
That still wouldn't be piracy since the code is GPL. You can copy RHEL all you want. You can install it all you want. You can only get support for the number of machines you pay for.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 20, 2009
4:26 PM EDT
Caitlyn,

> Red Hat just doesn't provide ready to go binaries

Gee, I wish you'd pick one. First you tell me they don't provide binaries unless you pay, so I change that to fit the pirate profile given.

It was "perverted pirate".

Maybe it's just that I was trying to lighten things with the word "perverse" rather than "perverted", as in "an effort to pirate RHEL is perverse".

Sarchasm: The distance between the one that makes a sarcastic comment, and the one that doesn't get it.
tracyanne

Apr 20, 2009
4:43 PM EDT
CentOS's point is that they remove everything that belongs to RedHat, That would qualify as proprietary, as it's everything that identifies the software as Red Hat brand software. Red Hat actually make it easy to remove their propreitary stuff, by supplying instructions on how to do so.
caitlyn

Apr 20, 2009
6:29 PM EDT
@Bob: Don't confuse how I respond with not getting it.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 21, 2009
2:37 AM EDT
What my OS (Linux) says about me? That if you use it, just use it and your friends see you 'just using it' long enough..they'll want to start using it too.

There is something to be said for patience when it comes to wanting to share a worry free computing experience with your friends and family..

;-)
montezuma

Apr 21, 2009
9:22 AM EDT
It says I'm cheap.

I don't know how many thousands of dollars I've saved by avoiding proprietary systems.
jdixon

Apr 21, 2009
10:26 AM EDT
> It says I'm cheap.

Mine prefers the word frugal. :)
gus3

Apr 21, 2009
11:33 AM EDT
"Wisely divested".
montezuma

Apr 21, 2009
12:34 PM EDT
>> Mine prefers the word frugal. :)

Yeah right! Much better phrasing ;-)
machiner

Apr 23, 2009
10:34 AM EDT
Mine tells me that my efforts matter and that I actually have some say in how things are set up and run.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!