OK, I want one

Story: iUnika debuts GYY a low-cost solar-powered netbookTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
caitlyn

May 22, 2009
10:06 AM EDT
I've read a couple of pieces about this laptop and even though it isn't exactly powerful I want one. First, a solar powered laptop is just too cool. The idea of charging almost anywhere is definitely sweet. It's a MIPS processor and I'll admit I have a soft spot for MIPS going back to when I supported SGI servers and workstations when they were the thing for graphics and scientific computing.

OK, it won't be fast. The 128MB of RAM is even worse than the processor. Hopefully it will be upgradable. Even as is with a distro optimized for performance (I'm thinking Vector Linux Light) it should still be useful. OK, more cool that tremendously useful for me but I still want one.

Basic unit ~US$160, with solar $220 is also a nice price.
number6x

May 22, 2009
11:08 AM EDT
This thing is way more powerful than the old Sinclar/ Timex ZX 80/81/1000/spectrum from the early 80's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_ZX81

They sold a bot load (or two) of those. a lot of people couldn't afford a commodore, Apple II and certainly they couldn't afford an IBM PC. They did buy the sinclar and learn Basic.

Machines like this and the XO could change a lot of people's lives in parts of the world where computers are scarce.
DrDubious

May 22, 2009
4:13 PM EDT
For what they're offering in terms of specifications, $220 is still a bit high. I still kind of want one, though. When they come out with something similar using a dual-core A9 processor and a decent amount of RAM for around this price-point, though, I'm going to go nuts...

(400Mhz MIPS processor? Where I work, we have a decade-old SGI supercomputer-type device. 12 whole processors! Also 400Mhz MIPS. I half-jokingly call it a "Beowulf cluster of Palm Pilots". That's a little unfair, but "Beowulf Cluster of Palm T4's" doesn't sound right...)
caitlyn

May 22, 2009
4:34 PM EDT
You know, even with the small processor and low RAM there is a bottom point to manufacturing costs. Also note they aren't using standard PC manufacturing techniques. They're using bioplastics. It's also only $220 if you want a solar charging system. $160 is the base price.

Did anyone see that another MIPS based netbook was announced by a Chinese company? It looks like MIPS may be a serious competitor for ARM in the low end processor market.
hkwint

May 22, 2009
6:52 PM EDT
Quoting:For what they're offering in terms of specifications, $220 is still a bit high.

VAT in Spain is 16%, engineering is done in Spain, production is done in Hong Kong. Let's compare to Dell: I believe VAT in the US is between 0-15%, engineering is done in the US / India; a lot of it is outsourced to both Compal / Quanta in Taiwan, assembly is done in India. Quanta and Compal already made so many netbooks they don't have to 'engineer' much to start production of a new one.

Feel the difference?

Also, Si is expensive these days. I'm sure the 'gyy' is not using the most Si-efficient solar cells available as of today. New polycrystalline silicon cells are coming later this year (produced by Soland Solar in Heerlen, NL; so they won't be cheap either) which use significant less Si, and much work is being done on thin film solar cells.
caitlyn

May 22, 2009
7:25 PM EDT
Actually a lot (most?) Dell engineering is done in the U.S. and Israel. They do a huge amount of R&D there and some manufacturing as well. Dell is one of Israel's largest tech employers. FWIW, other U.S. firms heavily invested in Israel include Intel and IBM. Assembly and manufacturing is heavily in India, of course.

There is no VAT in the U.S. There is sales tax in most but not all states but some states don't charge it on out of state or mail order purchases. Many only charge it on finished goods. Sales tax is anywhere from 2-9% depending on locality. Nobody has 15%.

Having said all of that Hans makes an excellent point about production costs. There is a floor below which you can't build a netbook and make any money. $160, the base price of the GYY, is very close to that floor.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!