simplicity is the wrong emphasis

Story: Windows server has Linux in crosshairsTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
gus3

May 22, 2009
4:51 PM EDT
Quoting:Windows Server 2008 Foundation is aimed squarely at Linux, and the software giant says its "simplicity" is expected to give it the edge over Linux as the choice server OS for the small business segment.
First of all, I like the scare quotes around "simplicity." That could be taken so many ways.

But really, Microsoft still misses the point. Simplicity isn't what companies (or homes) need in their networked systems. They need security.

It does not speak well of WS2008 Foundation that "simplicity" is its primary selling point, vis-a-vis Linux.
techiem2

May 22, 2009
5:02 PM EDT
I wonder what kind of hardware specs those $1k prebuilt servers have... I also wonder what exactly the restrictions on the server software is... Number of users? Number of connections? What services does it offer?

etc. etc.
caitlyn

May 22, 2009
5:37 PM EDT
From a technical standpoint gus3 is absolutely correct. Most small business owners aren't technical, they want to save money, and they think they can save money by cutting out their computer help and doing it themselves. Microsoft has already convinced them that Windows is the simplest thing out there. That's conventional wisdom. I expect this offering will sell very, very well. It's smart marketing even if it's poor technology.
tracyanne

May 22, 2009
6:59 PM EDT
The answer to this is to offer true simplicity, wrapped in a manner that is desirable to this market, plus much greater value ie; more applications/functionalities, better security, better support,, at a lower price.

That could be a headless Linux box with multiple VM support capability, an easy to use desktop management console web or desktop based, with support for HTTP FTP servers, easy to use template based webpage creation, DNS, Email, File Storage,no limit on clients (of course, it's Linux), LDAP authentication etc.

Market that, advertise it, Offer additional support/ development. for the webpage/applications and anything else that could be modified to suit specific needs.
Kagehi

May 23, 2009
2:52 AM EDT
As I said on the original page, and as clearly implied by caitlyn's remarks. Its not simplicity in the product they are hoping will win them this, its simplicity in the *product buyer*.
tracyanne

May 23, 2009
4:47 AM EDT
Quoting:Its not simplicity in the product they are hoping will win them this, its simplicity in the *product buyer*.

Doesn't matter. Either way, unless there is something else that is perceived as "better" ie simpler to administer, provides more for less, or even the same etc, they will do very well with this offering. Complaining, writng about how the customer is ripped off, making fun of it, whatever, will make no difference. What will make a difference is a "better" product/value proposition that is well marketed (that is the market, and the needs/desires of that market is well understood), and well advertised to the intended market.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!