I take exception to this

Story: In search of the Linux desktopTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
tracyanne

May 23, 2009
12:06 AM EDT
Quoting:Likewise the KDE developers got into trouble with users when they prematurely released a radically revised version of KDE, although it was made plain that KDE 4.0 was a transition and not the final release. The predilection of Linux users to jump in and try everything early ensured a backlash against the KDE developers who had had the temerity to explore beyond the traditional desktop metaphors.

I did not jump in to try something early. I wanted to wait until KDE was good and ready, and it still isn't. Instead I was presented with KDE4 in such a way that not using it and going back to KDE 3 was next to impossible, if I wanted a stable desktop. This bloke really doesn't get it, most Linux users were confronted with KDE 4 as a take it or leave it option by the Distribution they chose to use. It had nothing to do with try it early then complain that it was broke.
TxtEdMacs

May 23, 2009
8:46 AM EDT
tracyanne,

You are correct*, moreover, I remember too well at the wails because KUbuntu stuck with 3.5 and 4.0 was offered as an option. "It was Ready!"** was what I read in the lwn.net comments at the time. So I was shocked when later 4.0 became the default and was met by a noisy, disdain by a minority of users. I guess that latter group had staying power, because all those distressed posters months before attesting to the new KDE's quality could not have been wrong. Could they? Just asking since I am not a KDE user.

YBT

* However, we need to rewrite history more often, facts are confusing and no fun.

** Approximate rendition

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!