When Linux is featured...

Story: Intel Adopts an Identity in Software Total Replies: 7
Author Content
caitlyn

May 26, 2009
8:32 PM EDT
When a Linux distro (in this case Moblin) is featured in the business section of The New York Times you know we've arrived. Microsoft will never be able to put the djinni back in the bottle. From now on they have to compete.
Bob_Robertson

May 26, 2009
8:35 PM EDT
I don't think they ever stopped competing, if their marketing budget is any indication.

Just that Microsoft's method of competition is in modes and venues which have little or nothing to do with quality of code.

Linux was featured in lots of NYT business section articles 10 years ago.
bigg

May 27, 2009
5:42 AM EDT
Quoting:Intel’s investment in Linux, the main rival to Windows, has increased

I wonder if some Mac fanbois just went crazy.

Reading the article, it appears Intel has decided that Microsoft's offerings are getting in the way of their ability to sell hardware. I concur.
jacog

May 27, 2009
6:18 AM EDT
>> I wonder if some Mac fanbois just went crazy.

Naaaw, I think the average Mac fanboi would be delighted to be the only one in the world. If Apple had 50% market share, the Mac user could say "My Mac is better than half the 'puters out there"... But if it was the only Mac in the universe (s)he could say "My Mac is better than all the 'puters in the universe".

Don't underestimate the unshakable pride of the fanboi! :)
gus3

May 27, 2009
8:03 AM EDT
Quoting:I wonder if some Mac fanbois just went crazy.
If, by "went crazy," you mean "detonating crania," then yes, without a doubt. Linux is the focus of the article, and Mac OS X gets just a mention in passing.

Not a good omen for either M$ or Apple.
number6x

May 27, 2009
1:22 PM EDT
bigg,

Microsoft decided for Intel. A few years ago Intel spent a lot of time and money developing the Itanium architecture. AMD developed a set of 64bit extensions to the x86 architecture, but they saw that as a stop gap until they could offer a pure 64-bit rival to Itanium.

The plan was that the Wintel cartel would grow the 64-bit offering and truly rival the 64-bit Unix architectures at a lower price. At the time most businesses saw Linux as the OS for cast off equipment that could cheaply be re-purposed as print servers, file servers and fire walls.

I know that Linux was already dominating supercomputing and was poised to take a big chunk of the embedded market at that time, but most of the fortune 500 did not see linux on mission critical equipment. It wasn't yet a competitor in many people's eyes (wrongly, I believe)

The combination of 64-bit Windows and 64-bit Itanium should drive sales and increase market share in the business application server market.

Intel delivered, but Windows 64-bit for Itanium never really made it past the beta stage. Intel hoped to reproduce the conditions that occurred around the release of the pentium chip. The realease of Windows 95 helped drive the 'need' for pentium based equipment. It was a win-win situation for Intel and Microsoft. A new pure 64-bit Windows version and a new Intel platform generating sales and profits.

Intel's relationship with Microsoft was remarkably different before and after the Itanium. I won't say that Intel is cozy with Linux, but it sees the need not to put all its eggs in one basket. I think that Intel noticed how the Linux community used the Intel provided Itanium emulator to complete a port of the Linux kernel to the Itanium before there were any Itanium chips in existence.

I think this was a turning point for a lot of people who actually pay attention. The Linux community accomplished something that the largest commercial closed software company in the world could not. Other proprietary shops like HP and IBM also accomplished this same feat, so its not really a tale of FOSS versus proprietary. But it shows that FOSS is able to produce results that were often thought only attainable by large commercial software vendors.

For me this was the point that I knew Microsoft was in real trouble. This was an incredible missed opportunity for them and it was due to their own incompetence and mismanagement. Very few people took note of Linux's success with the Itanium port, but Intel sure did.

Intel is no longer going to be a Microsoft lap dog. They are friendlier towards FOSS for their own reasons.
Sander_Marechal

May 27, 2009
7:46 PM EDT
Quoting:Intel delivered

Excuse me? Itanium was supposed to ship in 1998. They eventually released the first one in June 2001. That was one of Itanium's problems. By the time it was released it wasn't superior to the competition anymore.
hkwint

May 27, 2009
9:03 PM EDT
number6x:

You can leave the whole 'expensive' Itanium out of the equation I think, it's all much simpler:

Poor Asian people don't have the money to buy Windows on the cheap computers they're longing for. Billions of Atoms probably mean more revenue than a handful of Itaniums. This has been covered long ago on LXer in nov 2005:

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/46808/index.html

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!