Eee PC: attention-grabber

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
gus3

May 29, 2009
3:11 PM EDT
So I'm sitting in a local coffee shop, surfing, watching YouTube, posting silly comments on LXer, when this lady at the next table asks me about my Eee PC.

She already knows that Windows and MacOS aren't the only options for personal computers; her enlightenment has already begun, reinforced by frustration with the weaknesses of the RedmondOS. That made it an interesting conversation.

Now she knows that security-as-an-afterthought is a bad idea, and Linux (and Unix, including Mac OSX) has had security designed in from the get-go.

I pointed out that many GPS systems and Android phones are running Linux way under the hood, and that proprietary platforms (by way of illustration from Microsoft) is a poor investment for developing highly-reliable systems. She might already be using Linux without knowing it. She isn't ready to make the switch on her desktop, but she is ready to learn.

I love my Eee PC. And I'm glad I put Ubuntu Netbook Remix on it yesterday; it made a pleasing display to show someone in a coffee shop.
caitlyn

May 29, 2009
4:20 PM EDT
Very good report, Gus. Sounds like the beginning of an LXer feature :)

I've had a similar experience in the vet's office waiting for my ferrets to be seen. The only thing is the woman who asked me about my Sylvania netbook had never heard of Linux :( She seemed befuddled by the fact that it wasn't Windows. Oh well...
hkwint

May 29, 2009
6:29 PM EDT
Way to go, gus3.

Sounds like I need to visit the coffeeshop again; pretty smart people over there, and more souls to convert. But when I go to the coffeeshop, not in the Netherlands (I stopped visiting them four years ago, ahem).
caitlyn

May 29, 2009
10:33 PM EDT
Coffee... mmm...

You cannot post until you login.