Linux went first!

Story: First Driver for USB 3.0Total Replies: 13
Author Content
tuxchick

Jun 09, 2009
4:22 PM EDT
This is cool. USB is cool. Younguns don't remember the bad old days of 5.25" floppy disks, 3.5" diskettes with whopping 1.4 megabyte capacities (yes children, megabytes, not gigabytes, and even gigabytes are becoming quaint), but at least those were pretty much universal. Then came the Dark Years of Zip disks, super-floppies (OMG, 2.88 screamin' megs!), and CDs, all of which had serious drawbacks as nice easy portable media.

Wanna connect peripherals? Parallel port, serial port, IDE...no parties there.

Now everything is USB, and it keeps getting better, and I like it.
bigg

Jun 09, 2009
4:31 PM EDT
Windows just doesn't support the latest hardware.
caitlyn

Jun 09, 2009
4:52 PM EDT
Some of us remember 8" floppies, big 20MB hard drives in huge round plastic cases that had to go around the X-ray machine at the airport, cassette tape drives for computers, Hollerith cards and mylar or paper tape, waiting for time at one of the terminals at school, going to the computer center to pick up the output of that program you keypunched onto the Hollerith cards, and so on. I'm old enough that my entire education and the first year of my professional career predate the PC.

Yes, things get better and better and we've never had it so good.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 09, 2009
5:49 PM EDT
I worked as a computer operator in 1981, threading 9-track tapes, changing "huge" 5MB disk packs, and one job still had to use punch cards.

Yes, push the big buttons to bring main memory off/on line. Reboot with the following switch sequence..., etc etc etc.

...on a machine absolutely BLOWN AWAY by my now 6-year-old laptop.

So many folks have no idea how fast computer hardware has evolved. And, as the Linux kernel shows, software is doing exactly the same thing even if we cannot see it as clearly.
herzeleid

Jun 09, 2009
6:31 PM EDT
I just missed those days - when I took my first programming class at Cal Poly Pomona, they had just switched from punch cards to terminals after the previous quarter.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 09, 2009
7:04 PM EDT
I miss my clay tablet and stylus.
tuxchick

Jun 09, 2009
7:20 PM EDT
whippersnappers. My mom still has my childhood petroglyphs.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 09, 2009
9:00 PM EDT
Steve, there are those in the Society for Creative Anachronism who use bees-wax tablets for that "authentic" feeling.

They're actually quite useful.

http://www.sca.org
gus3

Jun 09, 2009
9:11 PM EDT
Going the other direction:

Last month, on Towel Day, I did take a small towel with me.

Douglas Adams was right. The towel was awesomely useful, all day.
caitlyn

Jun 09, 2009
9:12 PM EDT
While I remember the past when it comes to technology these are the best of times. My inexpensive little netbook is way more powerful than what filled a room at the start of my career. Maybe several rooms.

To quote the line repeated over and over in "Einstein On The Beach"...

"These are the days my friends and these are the days my friends."
Sander_Marechal

Jun 10, 2009
4:30 AM EDT
Quoting:there are those in the Society for Creative Anachronism who use bees-wax tablets for that "authentic" feeling.

You're in the SCA? Cool :-)
Bob_Robertson

Jun 10, 2009
9:38 AM EDT
In the Roman Bath betting scene in _Ben Hur_, when the antagonist puts his ring to the wax tablet to seal his bet, I have a stab of nostalgia for Pennsic.

I agree with Caitlyn, however, that nostalgia is fine, but keep in mind just how much better things are now than then for everyone. Yes, everyone in pretty much every way imaginable.
jacog

Jun 10, 2009
9:45 AM EDT
Pffff, I remember when hardware-based DRM was invented... they called it a Lenslok :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenslok
hkwint

Jun 10, 2009
3:35 PM EDT
No, Lenslok didn't run with Linux I guess.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!