Possible in US, maybe impossible elsewhere

Story: Linux Against Poverty - It Is a GOTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
vainrveenr

Jun 18, 2009
1:10 PM EDT
The Austin, TX, USA efforts here are apparently different from those of the state-sponsored regime 9000+ miles to the east of this in Amman, Jordan. Reference in this second case is to the ZDNet Asia piece 'Jordan’s Internet minister on piracy, open source, outsourcing' at http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/121971

According to the 1st piece, at linuxagainstpoverty.org :
Quoting:So how do we win? [getting Linux to be accepted]

We start with a clean slate...the minds of those not yet corrupted. Minds that can understand freedom without a mental boat anchor tied around their leg.

Linux Against Poverty is much more than an installfest. It is an effort between the Free Software Community in any given place and the greater community that holds it.

Now contrast this with the statements by the Jordanian Internet Minister:
Quoting:Is Jordan planning to adopt open source software in government agencies? It will cost you more, by the way. We are working in the hospital sector, using open source. I think that in the beginning, the cost will be higher. In the long run it could be better.

You have to develop software to interface with the open source, which will cost you more. A country like Jordan cannot afford such things.
So Jordan is essentially forced to make agreements with the likes of Microsoft and Oracle for funding and to even get to square one as far as equipment. Then it has to further gather capital expenditures for open source deployments in government agencies and the hospital sector; expenditures which it just cannot afford. Furthermore, there are few means at hand to "begin soliciting companies and corporations in the [Amman] area for physical donations" and equipment, and few if any of the BRIC or EU countries will see an incentive to donate such equipment. There is probably much greater poverty among the general Jordanian population than among the general population of Austin (if not below the poverty-line of the poorest throughout the entire state of Texas, USA!) The author of this piece writes:
Quoting:It's the kids that need these computers...and folks, having done this for several years, I am still in awe of the number of children in Austin Texas that do not have a computer or internet access in the home. We've barely made a dent. I can hardly imagine what it is like in LA or New York City or London.
.... and even more unimaginable for children in Jordan.

So Jordan MUST make such "deals with the devil" as described above, to even make a dent in the rampant poverty present. Therefore, it becomes dauntingly difficult to "start with a clean slate" in Jordan. To affect "the minds of those not yet corrupted. Minds that can understand freedom without a mental boat anchor tied around their leg."

caitlyn

Jun 18, 2009
2:02 PM EDT
It's humorous to read Jordanian government officials talking about "freedom" when there is precious little in their country. It's a monarchy with the trappings of an elected parliament. There is a huge discrepancy between rich and poor in Jordan perpetuated by the government. Jordan is marginally better than many if not most Arab countries as their monarchs really do seem to care a bit about the people, but only marginally.
rijelkentaurus

Jun 18, 2009
3:04 PM EDT
Quit baiting Bob.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 18, 2009
3:33 PM EDT
My apologies, Rij.

I didn't realize your lesson until the middle of the night.
caitlyn

Jun 18, 2009
3:59 PM EDT
Quoting:She's deliberately flaunting the fact that she can say anything she wants.

Not so. The post was on-topicand an apros pos response to vainveenr's comment about why what works in the U.S. won't work in Jordan. I also didn't think it would be in the least bit controversial. The fact that someone who is on the other end of the political spectrum would have said the same also points to the fact that it wasn't controversial. I wasn't baiting and I wasn't flounting anything. Anyone who has been to Jordan from a Western country would likely make the same observation.

In a bit of juicy irony I'm wearing a pair of jeans today that were made in Jordan.
softwarejanitor

Jun 18, 2009
8:23 PM EDT
I also would have to agree with caitlyn, and I'm pretty sure we have pretty different political philosophies. I'm not always on exactly the same page with Bob either, FWIW. It is pretty hard to argue that Jordan isn't exactly a free country, even though you certainly can say that there are worse in their neck of the woods. Iran for example.
jdixon

Jun 19, 2009
12:22 AM EDT
> Her post here is pretty much exactly what I would have said as well,

As would I. And I suspect both Dino and TA would agree.

The unfortunate fact is that there is really only one functioning "free" country in the middle east, and it's the one all the others want to destroy. There's hope that Iraq might get there some day, but they're not there yet.
caitlyn

Jun 19, 2009
1:00 AM EDT
@jdixon: Turkey pretty much has a functional democracy and had made a lot of reforms in their quest to join the E.U. They also have diplomatic relations with everyone else. They are kind of sort of in the Middle East.

Lebanon is also an interesting country to watch. The structures for a democracy are there but the situation is precarious at best and there are forces who have no interest in a real democracy.

Again, I hope nothing I am writing is controversial at this point. I am not interested in starting a political argument with anyone.
tracyanne

Jun 19, 2009
1:52 AM EDT
Well I like Turkey... especially when it';s slow basted with herbs an butter
jdixon

Jun 19, 2009
7:31 AM EDT
> Turkey pretty much has a functional democracy...

Somewhat, though from my limited outsider viewpoint, it seems rival parties are very limited. Though one could make the same argument about the US, so that doesn't really prove anything. And, as you said, they are only kind of sort of in the Middle East.

> Lebanon is also an interesting country to watch.

Yes, they have potential too, but the Syrian influence may be a show stopper there.

> Again, I hope nothing I am writing is controversial at this point.

I can't speak for others, but facts and carefully considered opinion based on more detailed knowledge of a subject area are almost always welcome, even if I don't agree with the opinion. I think you'll find that's been true in our past discussions.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 19, 2009
7:33 AM EDT
> I also didn't think it would be in the least bit controversial. The fact that someone who is on the other end of the political spectrum would have said the same also points to the fact that it wasn't controversial.

Some day you'll realize, Caitlyn, that I post for EXACTLY the same reasons, with exactly the same rationalizations.
helios

Jun 19, 2009
8:18 AM EDT
I post to hang out with the cool kids.
jdixon

Jun 19, 2009
9:26 AM EDT
> I post to hang out with the cool kids.

Cool kids? Where? :)
bigg

Jun 19, 2009
9:30 AM EDT
I post so I can anonymously attack the cool kids that beat me up in high school.
kingttx

Jun 19, 2009
9:45 AM EDT
@bigg Aaahahahahaha!! Too funny! I have a feeling, though, that not too many kids that were "cool" in HS will be hanging out on LXer, no offense. ;) I was a band geek who hated HS. :-/

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!