I have made the switch

Story: Asus EeePC1000HE: switching to Linux Total Replies: 8
Author Content
iveen

Jun 25, 2009
8:08 AM EDT
These lines are being written from an ASUS eeePC 1000HE running Linux, to be more specific, I am running UNR (Ubuntu NetBook Remix), audio, hibernation, camera all are working fine.

This computer comes with two HD partitions (three really, but the third one is the recovery partition), the first partition has WINDOWS XP installed on it, the second partition is formatted to NTFS but is empty.

I have switched partially, in the beginning I tried WUBI, even though it worked, I didn't like the idea of having windows controlling my Linux installation; so I moved on to UNR, installing it into that second empty partition, now I have this tiny computer dual booting, so when I need to run Windows exclusive software (like firewall management software) I go to windows, otherwise, I am on Ubuntu.

It is a shame that the spirit of Netbook computers have been stolen from us, now you can see the "Runs better with Windows" FUD campaign, this has only increased the price on these equipments (remember that you need an AntiVirus with your Windows software).

Move on, and start using your netbook with Linux, you won't regret it.
krisum

Jun 25, 2009
10:19 AM EDT
The other problem is the stupid licensing of XP home for netbooks which means that most netbooks out there (that have to come with XP home) cannot have more than 16GB (or 32?) of SSD and 1GB of RAM. Though there are linux versions with Dell, HP that do not have these limitations but unfortunately those are not available with most retailers. I had hoped that specs of netbooks will increase with time, but XP has really stifled it.
hkwint

Jun 25, 2009
11:04 AM EDT
Quoting:It is a shame that the spirit of Netbook computers have been stolen from us

Is it? Netbooks are defined by Linux nowadays now Linux has ~100% market share. You see, Windows (XP) doesn't run on Netbooks. It only runs on Low Cost Small Notebooks. And only if the latter don't have hybrid storage.
moopst

Jun 25, 2009
5:51 PM EDT
Also, I'd point out that "Runs better with Windows" is a huge concession, given that the mantra used to be that Windows was all there is, the end-all and be-all of software. Now they are forced to admit that something else exists (though they won't say what).

First they ignore you, then they mock you... once enough mindshare has escaped the Monopoly trap they will see the advantages of FLOSS, be willing to participate with bug reports and feature requests and reject the strange notion that only Microsoft can write software.
tuxchick

Jun 27, 2009
12:24 AM EDT
I want a nice Linux netbook. My birthday is in August..hint....
hkwint

Jun 27, 2009
7:58 PM EDT
TC: Write nice things about Win7. Start any paragraph with: "I used to love & recommend Linux, but..." and be sure to end every paragraph with 'Win7 will be the death of Desktop Linux'.

Your netbook should be in before Christmas. Oh, and it will come pre-installed, but then it's more fun to ask for a refund - if so, you might make even some profit out of it.
gus3

Jun 27, 2009
8:21 PM EDT
Dang, Hans, I think I've missed my calling.

Although I doubt I could write anything after "I used to love & recommend Linux, but..." without my fingers and face suddenly becoming very twitchy.
tracyanne

Jun 27, 2009
8:41 PM EDT
Especially after having tested Windows 7, I'd have a great deal of trouble writing anything of the sort. For the love of the ISM, it's just another iteration of Windows, it's not as if it's actually a genuine improvement on anything except Vista, and that only because in general terms they made it more like XP.

What it boils down to is XP with a facelift. The old girl looks better, but she's still the old girl.
gus3

Jun 27, 2009
9:00 PM EDT
Careful now, some of us have no problem with old girls...

Er, um, never mind.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!