Competition is good

Story: Ubuntu Under Attack on Multiple FrontsTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
dthacker

Jul 10, 2009
9:56 AM EDT
I don't agree with the use of the word "attack". I think it's a race, not warfare. We'll all win in the end, because we'll have more useful tools. Well, Microsoft may not win. They might be the next GM or Chrylser unless they get a clue.

Dave
Bob_Robertson

Jul 10, 2009
11:55 AM EDT
DT, with F/OSS it is even more "we'll all win", because innovations under GPL et. al. aren't lost with the "failed" organizations.

Rising tides raising all boats, and such.
flufferbeer

Jul 10, 2009
11:55 AM EDT
Dave, Bob, n' others, I'd wholeheartedly agree with you.

Many of us already realize how downhill-bound M$ is been with Vi$ta and its other efforts. Sure, it has who-knows how much money in the bank and its dominating influence with everyone under the sun (although maybe not Oracle's Sun ;-] ). Now with this whole maybe-good-Mono maybe-bad-Mono licensing initiative it's doing, who knows what can happen.....

Anyway, Google is certainly stepping up to the plate with the race (good word!) to market their Chrome-based OS. As much as I use Ubuntu, I CAN perceive how Canonical will fall behind with Google's OS and browser efforts from netbooks on up. One of the key points, I think, is that Google is a clearly one company that will be delivering a definite complete PRODUCT (not M$ vaporware!) fairly close to schedule. Since Canonical Inc. depends so much on the F/OSS "Community", it seems less clear from this that Canonical will be able to rapidly develop and deploy a definite product for netbooks as quickly as Google's ChromeOS or Micro$haft's Windoze 7.

Yet I'm sure we'll see much more useful tools coming out from Canonical and Ubuntu developers in this race. Maybe more such tools incorporated from Sourceforge and its ilk, and even from the better developers at distros such as Red Hat and Novell ?? Just a guess on all this.
rijelkentaurus

Jul 10, 2009
12:09 PM EDT
In line with "it's a race, not warfare", I don't recall there being a competition for Ubuntu to be "champion" of.

Like it would win if there was.

:^P
flufferbeer

Jul 10, 2009
12:23 PM EDT
Oh, and another point is that Canonical will definitely have a presence at OSCON 2009 in about two-weeks time. I would think that at least _some_ Google developers will also show up here, especially seeing that Google's Mountain View headquarter complex is a mere 20 miles Northwest of the San Jose McEnery Convention Center. Methinks that an OSCON announcement about developments related to this (or lack thereof) will be forthcoming from at least Canonical.
helios

Jul 12, 2009
9:35 PM EDT
See, this is the prevailing attitude of many Ubuntu Princesses. They not only perceive (rightly so) competition from Redmond but from other distros as well. This is one of the main reasons I install some of the better Ubuntu derivatives on our Kid's computers. The forums there are less antagonistic and far more relaxed. You simply do not have the superiority attitudes. I've gotten some great responses from the Ubuntu forums but I've also had some nasty experiences there as well.

When a 12 year old girl identifies herself as such and is still called an "oblivious dunce"...it's a real good thing the posting coward posts from the UK.

No...Ubuntu may be the face of Linux, and that's not a bad thing...unfortunately, that face has some nasty features and it's that face that will be looked upon by the world in months to come.

It's getting obvious even in the forums that the fanboys are nervous about Chrome OS. They had their chance to advertise and get the world's attention...Canonical decided against it. Google WILL advertise and become the dominant Linux distro.

Lessons should be learned here.
jdixon

Jul 12, 2009
10:19 PM EDT
> Google WILL advertise and become the dominant Linux distro.

I expect so, yes. That should have both good and bad points.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 13, 2009
8:09 AM EDT
> Google WILL advertise and become the dominant Linux distro. I think that will depend upon how they organize ChromeOS. If they put together enough packages to make a satisfying environment, then yes it will be dominant as Ubuntu is dominant, by simple attention.

But if they don't either put a reasonably full distribution together, or at least make it package compatible with one of the biggies, people are going to be disappointed.

If it was my project, I'd put a "ChromeOS" theme on KDE and mirror Debian.
helios

Jul 13, 2009
8:20 AM EDT
If it was my project, I'd put a "ChromeOS" theme on KDE and mirror Debian.

That's probably the only sensible choice they have if they are going to be compatable with any distro.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!