Just want to say "Hi!" and thanks!

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 43
Author Content
ChrisRada

Sep 12, 2009
11:20 PM EDT
I am an ex "lower life form" who used to use Windows.

Please check out my simple and to-the-point Ubuntu based blog called "You're Momma Didn't Raise No Dummy" at http://youremommadidntraisenodummy.blogspot.com/

It's really simple and kind of stupid in some ways but I hope to find an audience somewhere who believes that open source is not just condescending old men with beards who listen to King Crimson, drink green tea, and grow tomatoes.

Thanks, Chris

caitlyn

Sep 13, 2009
3:19 PM EDT
As a woman who listens to King Crimson, drinks lots of green tea, and grows tomatoes I found this statement sexist. Not only men do those things, all of which are healthy and good.

P.S.: I just picked a beautiful red tomato and a nice green bell pepper from my garden for tonight's salad. There's nothing better than vine ripened, fresh, organically home grown produce.
Sander_Marechal

Sep 13, 2009
6:09 PM EDT
Amen Caitlyn. I grow vegetables as well (although I don't have the space to grow all my vegetables). It just tastes ten times better than even the high quality vegetables you can buy in stores.

At the moment we're growing apples, ruccola, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, red peppers, cucumbers and a range of herbs and spices.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 13, 2009
7:08 PM EDT
Recently I was told that Linux is a "hobby OS, installed by 15-35 year old males on a second partition to fiddle with. Then they go back to Windows to get work done."

At least I can dislike tomatos, prefer thai tea and not be banned?
bigg

Sep 13, 2009
7:32 PM EDT
> installed by 15-35 year old males

Crud, I'm a male, but unfortunately I'm too old.

> Then they go back to Windows to get work done.

Crud, now I see why my salary is so low, apparently all that stuff I've been doing at the office isn't work. I wonder what I should do with that couple thousand lines of Fortran code I just wrote.
montezuma

Sep 13, 2009
8:01 PM EDT
pathf90 *.f90?
caitlyn

Sep 14, 2009
1:32 AM EDT
Quoting:Crud, now I see why my salary is so low, apparently all that stuff I've been doing at the office isn't work.

Heck, I don't get a salary at all. Obviously running my own little consulting business is just a hobby. Luckily it's a hobby that pays the bills and allowed me to replace my car recently and take the ferrets to the vet. I'm also too old and female to run Linux, apparently. I suppose if I just ran Windows I could do reall work, whatever that is. Thanks but no thanks.
jezuch

Sep 14, 2009
2:36 AM EDT
Real work? Yikes!!
hkwint

Sep 14, 2009
5:37 AM EDT
Be glad. If you did real work the site ChrisRada refers to above (and whole blogspot BTW) would be blocked under the category "Personal Pages". LXer is not blocked, luckily.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 14, 2009
8:21 AM EDT
Just a quick follow-up. The justification later given for having made such a sweeping judgement, was the writer's own reading of the Ubuntu user's forums, and listening to the Linux Link Tech Show. So "a hobby OS installed in a second partition by 15 to 35 year olds, going back to Windows to get real work done" is not just his opinion, it's the experience of "many people".

If the Linux Link Tech Show is that British podcast that's so foul-mouthed I couldn't even finish one episode, then I guess I can understand his "experience".
gus3

Sep 14, 2009
9:36 AM EDT
Quoting:I'm also too old and female
How can one be too female?
jdixon

Sep 14, 2009
10:34 AM EDT
> ...by 15 to 35 year olds...

I could only wish. I was 35 when I first installed Linux.
softwarejanitor

Sep 14, 2009
11:56 AM EDT
@jdixon I was only 26 when I installed Yggdrasil Beta, but that was in 1993.
jdixon

Sep 14, 2009
12:13 PM EDT
> ...but that was in 1993.

Mine was in 94, so you beat me by a year. :(
Bob_Robertson

Sep 14, 2009
1:15 PM EDT
1995, so yeah. I must say it's nice not to be the only "old fogie" in the room.
caitlyn

Sep 14, 2009
3:08 PM EDT
Quoting:How can one be too female?

1. too old 2. female

The "too" described my age, nothing more.

I was 35 when I first tried Linux but 38 when I first decided it had advanced to the point that I'd want to use it full time. That was in the last decade of the last century.
softwarejanitor

Sep 14, 2009
3:50 PM EDT
@caitlyn It was 1994 when Linux became my primary full-time OS at home. Unlike a lot of people I didn't switch to it from Windows. My previous "desktop" was MacOS at home. I was primarily using SunOS with OpenLook at work, and since OpenLook was available on Slackware 1.x that made it a pretty easy choice. I did have to use Windows 3.x at work some, but it was pretty awful, so I touched it as little as possible.
tuxchick

Sep 14, 2009
3:54 PM EDT
Too female? Pshaw. Tractors don't care who drives them. **spit, scratch**

~o I'm too girly for your party Too girly for your party No way I'm disco dancing Too girly by far
caitlyn

Sep 14, 2009
4:42 PM EDT
@softwarejanitor: While I was certainly using Windows for work when I made the switch to Linux (1998) it was from OS/2, not Windows. I'm one of the relatively few people who can honestly claim that Windows was never my OS of choice and never my primary OS at home.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 15, 2009
8:05 AM EDT
> Windows was never my OS of choice and never my primary OS at home.

I liked Win95. It was still enough of a "work in progress" to still be mallable and interesting.

Sadly, although I had one in my hands for a moment, I let Microsoft Bob get away.

In fact, I had to explain to the person sitting beside me just now what Bob was.
tracyanne

Sep 15, 2009
8:22 AM EDT
I first saw Linux in 96, and didn't like it. I joined a Linux Internet network in 97, for free, as a bunch of Students who were running their own Internet gateway felt sorry for me (I was unemployed at the time), I was using Windows 95. I next came across Linux in 99, a bloke at work was running Debian, and the bloke I was filling in for as project leader (in a client company) handed me the keys to his SuSE file server. I started using Linux in 2000. So many missed opportunities.
tuxchick

Sep 15, 2009
9:51 AM EDT
I think 1995 or '96 for me. Most of the Linux geeks I knew back then were Unix graybeards who considered Linux to be something of a toy Unix, but it was Free and free and fun. So they did not faint at the sight of a CLI or consider having to study a bit to be a horrible thing. Not like these here modern Windows refugees, poor things, they need intensive de-programming.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 15, 2009
11:46 AM EDT
TC, although hardly older than myself, the person who introduced me to Linux was one of the most experienced UNIX people I'd yet met. I was working at an ISP in 1995 that was trying so very hard to make WinNT work. So very hard. The infrastructure was all SPARC, SunOS, which I already knew enough to use without breaking things.

I was tasked with getting Solaris-x86 working, and couldn't even get it to install. I have never succeeded in a Solaris-x86 install to this very day, not that I've tried all that often.

Anyway, in a meeting after I had given my report on the Solaris efforts, he stated "I've found a UNIX clone that runs on x86, is incredibly well supported and completely free. It's called Linux."

The company turned him down. I spent the next couple of days pulling down all the Debian floppies. Linux installed and worked the very first time.

Very quickly, at my "day" job, Linux servers were springing up everywhere. Quietly, in the "I need a system to do ... and I don't have a budget" mode. It was a lot of fun to watch, and I'm glad to say I helped.
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 15, 2009
12:01 PM EDT
Haven't listened to King Crimson in awhile ... I'm a big fan of late Crimson; don't even know if/where I have any.
moopst

Sep 15, 2009
2:30 PM EDT
I had a chance to buy Linux from a guy who was selling a lot of obviously pirated disks back in '94. I didn't buy it because I thought it was pirated too.

All of my King Crimson is on vinly except for Three of a Perfect Pair.
softwarejanitor

Sep 15, 2009
3:02 PM EDT
@moopst Back in 1994 I was a faithful customer of InfoMagic's CD sets... I've still got a bunch of those. There were a couple of others I bought back then... Walnut Creek and Cheap*Bytes. Ahh... nostalgia.
techiem2

Sep 15, 2009
3:05 PM EDT
One of my customers has a couple little Samsung (I believe) network printers. While they seem to be nice little printers, they have the really annoying issue of losing their custom settings whenever they lose power.....
softwarejanitor

Sep 15, 2009
3:06 PM EDT
Wow... CheapBytes is still in business... whodathunk? Walnut Creek and InfoMagic are long gone of course.
softwarejanitor

Sep 15, 2009
3:08 PM EDT
@techiem2 If their power consumption isn't too high, you might be able to get away with putting them on a cheap UPS to get around that problem. Unfortunately a lot of laser printers have too big a startup power requirement for a lot of the lower output UPSes.
dinotrac

Nov 06, 2009
8:51 AM EDT
Quoting:and take the ferrets to the vet.

Caitlyn -

Many people naively keep exotic pets without regard for the health hazards they present. Before you let another day pass, please, please do some research into the danger of keeping lawyers around the house.
montezuma

Nov 06, 2009
9:15 AM EDT
Another King Crimson fan (is this a pattern?). I first installed Red Hat in 2000 and it didn't recognize my hard drive. I sent them an abusive email and took it back to Best Buy. I was hooked.

I used unix for 20 years before trying Linux so once the hardware issues were sorted I found it very easy to adapt to. The thing I remember particularly liking in Linux versus the old unices was package management. That's why I run a Debian derivative (Ubuntu) now.
vainrveenr

Nov 06, 2009
12:25 PM EDT
Quoting:I think 1995 or '96 for me. Most of the Linux geeks I knew back then were Unix graybeards who considered Linux to be something of a toy Unix, but it was Free and free and fun.
Actually, one can still find some of the UNIX old guard around -- the "graybeards" as it were -- along with their wannabe's.

A small sample: - A UNIX vi/ex -oriented engineer named Bob; his 'Learn UNIX in Ten minutes' page at http://freeengineer.org/learnUNIXin10minutes.html - The bearded Dr. Bob's website, http://lowfatlinux.com/ ; bio profile at http://lowfatlinux.com/linux-drbob.html - The Unixmen UNIX Tutorials site at http://www.unixmen.com/

caitlyn

Nov 06, 2009
1:13 PM EDT
Quoting:Many people naively keep exotic pets without regard for the health hazards they present. Before you let another day pass, please, please do some research into the danger of keeping lawyers around the house.

The nearest lawyer in my family is in New York. I think that means he's at a safe distance :)

Actually, we got ferrets for health reasons. I am deathly allergic to cats and also allergic to dogs. Ferret hair is similar to human hair (no dander) and many people who are allergic to other pets can keep ferrets without problems. I'm one of those people.

Ferrets also have definite advantages over lawyers: they're easily trained and remain housebroken, they are loyal and will never turn on you, and they love unconditionally and really don't care how much money you have.
gus3

Nov 06, 2009
1:19 PM EDT
+1 caitlyn
dinotrac

Nov 06, 2009
1:30 PM EDT
Caitlyn.

Oh. You meant the OTHER slinky rat like thing.

My bad.
caitlyn

Nov 06, 2009
1:33 PM EDT
@dino: Your bad indeed. Ferrets are members of the weasel family. They are not rodents or rat-like in any way. They do like rats, though. A rat would be very tasty to a ferret. Rodents are part of their natural diet.

Ferrets used to be used to rid homes and businesses of mice and rats. I saw a turn of the 20th century add for such a service in New York city but I don't have it bookmarked any more.
dinotrac

Nov 06, 2009
1:40 PM EDT
Caitlyn --

Duck test, but...

weasel does take us back to lawyer.
caitlyn

Nov 06, 2009
1:45 PM EDT
Well, yes, but only because weasels are misunderstood. I think comparing lawyers to weasels is an insult... to the weasels.

Actually, when I needed a lawyer three years ago I did find a pretty good one. Generalisations are a dangerous thing...
number6x

Nov 06, 2009
1:55 PM EDT
Now I find I am too old to use Linux.

I guess that explains why I use it wrong. It is the only OS on the computer and, although I do 'fiddle' with it, it is primarily for getting work done.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 06, 2009
3:40 PM EDT
Lawyers and catfish.

One is a bottom-dwelling, scum sucking scavenger.

The other is a fish.

My one other lawyer joke was ruled TOS and deleted. Naa, they were right.
gus3

Nov 06, 2009
4:37 PM EDT
@caitlyn:

Quoting:All generalisations are a dangerous thing...
FTFY.
caitlyn

Nov 06, 2009
5:17 PM EDT
1. I didn't say All. 2. I have no clue what FTFY means.
gus3

Nov 06, 2009
5:37 PM EDT
1. I know you didn't. 2. "Fixed That For You".
hkwint

Nov 07, 2009
1:57 PM EDT
@dino: If you are a Firefox-user, just type it in the URL-bar and you'll get the definition! (Thanks to Google, that'd be).

If not, just Wikipedia / Wiktionary or Urbandictionary for it (don't Google, because if you'd like Google you'd use FF).

BTW I'm particularly a fan of UrbanDictionary these days as it explains lots of slang found on the web (more on the web than in newspapers). But especially the 'examples' of how to use such words are very nice. Lots of 'transformed' vulgar words are also explained there with nice examples. NSFW however.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!