relating to Linux/FOSS how?

Story: Report: Facebook A Haven For Hate GroupsTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
gus3

Sep 18, 2009
9:44 AM EDT
I see no mention of Linux, Free Software, or FOSS anywhere in this article.
caitlyn

Sep 18, 2009
12:06 PM EDT
Facebook may not be FOSS but it hosts FOSS groups and has an impact on the FOSS community. Other that that this is a general tech article, not a Linux article.
flufferbeer

Sep 18, 2009
2:14 PM EDT
@gus3, Why not make the same point about most of the Google articles here?? Sure, they heavily _use_ FOSS and their success draws continued focus and attacks from the M$ giant. Still, it seems to me that the majority of Google-related articles, like this Facebook one, _also_ make no direct mention of Linux or FOSS.
caitlyn

Sep 18, 2009
2:25 PM EDT
For that matter, what about the articles about Microsoft here?
gus3

Sep 18, 2009
2:48 PM EDT
Google and Microsoft corporations do things that affect the legal standing of Linux and FOSS.

I don't see where Facebook's standing with its users can have any such effect, for good or ill.
herzeleid

Sep 18, 2009
2:59 PM EDT
As you know, facebook is powered by linux. So obviously, linux is tied to hate groups.
dinotrac

Sep 18, 2009
4:14 PM EDT
>So obviously, linux is tied to hate groups.

Nothing new there. Unless you're talking about hating somebody other than Microsoft. Well, there is KDE v GNOME, Vi v. EMACS, CLI v. GUI,

Good God! What a terrible bunch of people we are!
Bob_Robertson

Sep 18, 2009
7:11 PM EDT
> Good God! What a terrible bunch of people we are!

Hey, is the system time to Sept 19th yet? We can all talk like pirates and be terrible.

Arrrr. Walk the plank!
hkwint

Sep 18, 2009
8:50 PM EDT
The 'delete' and 'future' link are rather close to each other, but I'm not sure if that's the reason for this article to appear.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 18, 2009
10:16 PM EDT
I have published articles about Facebook before, I did not see why I shouldn't post this one. Facebook has been in the FOSS news before..
caitlyn

Sep 18, 2009
11:56 PM EDT
Scott, I simply thought that this would be of interest to the FOSS community and the LXer community in particular. That is why I submitted it here.

I also took a stand at the end of the article against government mandated internet censorship, something which has been discussed here at length in the past. I also thought that was relevant.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!