too many words!

Story: Linux Security Basics, Part 1: Authentication (Distrowatch Weekly #321)Total Replies: 7
Author Content
tuxchick

Sep 21, 2009
3:11 PM EDT
Too many concepts! Too technical! I don't have anything to hide anyway. Typing a password is work! How can I be expected to remember?

There, got that out of the way.

While Ubuntu's implementation of sudo generates some controversy, the thing that bothers me is their disregard for a good personal firewall. Sure it ships with no open ports/running services, but no system is static and users make changes. Layered defenses is a fundamental principle. Duh :)

The horrid passwords I have encountered... I just helped a friend with his computer and his login was his first name, password last name. Help meeee.

Thanks Caitlyn, I hope this opens a few eyeballs.
gus3

Sep 21, 2009
3:21 PM EDT
Probably not, TC. The most likely to read it, are already aware; those who aren't aware, don't care.
caitlyn

Sep 21, 2009
4:06 PM EDT
If the DistroWatch comments are any example many who do read won't care either or will try and nitpick to prove that it really should all be ingnored.
tuxchick

Sep 21, 2009
4:53 PM EDT
Oh I think there are a lot of readers who will enjoy and learn from it. The smart ones will know better than to duke it out with trolly commenters.
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 21, 2009
6:40 PM EDT
TC, I worked on a box last week on which the root password was set to NOTHING. Meaning you boot it, type login: root, then just hit return at the password prompt and you're logged in as root. ... this was a Solaris box, and it wasn't in production, but still ...
tracyanne

Sep 21, 2009
6:51 PM EDT
Excellent advice. I never let my clients create their own passwords. I talk them through the process, explaining why a strong password is necessary, and create a strong password as we go, and give that to them, usually something along the lines of

A-5tr0nG-Pa5sW0rd

krisum

Sep 22, 2009
1:13 AM EDT
Quoting: the thing that bothers me is their disregard for a good personal firewall. Sure it ships with no open ports/running services, but no system is static and users make changes.
This looks to be common feature across many distros including Debian.
tracyanne

Sep 22, 2009
2:43 AM EDT
I'm pretty sure Mandriva has a fire wall, it certainly did last time I installed a test of 2010.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!