Flip flops aren't evil

Story: Flip Flops Are EvilTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 29, 2009
3:56 PM EDT
It gets mighty hot here in the summer, and I've been wearing a lot of flip flops.

If it cools down, I'll be able to start wearing regular shoes again, and then it'll be no more flip flops for me. But with global warming on the horizon, expect more flip flops rather than fewer.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 29, 2009
4:32 PM EDT
> But with global warming on the horizon,

Politics again?

Oh? Well, then neither is economics.
caitlyn

Sep 29, 2009
5:49 PM EDT
Even changling your position isn't evil. Sometimes it's a sign that you've grown and learned. Facts change over time. Reconsidering things isn't bad. Doing it to serve the immediate need hypocritically is another thing.

The warming of the earth over recent decades isn't politics. It's measurable. It's scientific fact. Of course, many people will ignore facts that don't suit a political agenda.
tuxchick

Sep 29, 2009
6:03 PM EDT
Out here in the sticks we wear thongs, and not the kind that crawl up your behind, but go on your feet. It is a never-ending source of amusement to the youngsters how we old fools misuse words. :)
dumper4311

Sep 29, 2009
7:16 PM EDT
> "Of course, many people will ignore facts that don't suit a political agenda."

Of course, many people will likewise co-opt those same facts in a way they can't causally establish with any degree of accuracy, specifically to suit a political agenda. :)

Called 'em thongs when I was young, funny some of the words I can't say anymore without sounding foolish. Don't really wear either, so it doesn't much matter I guess.
tracyanne

Sep 29, 2009
9:46 PM EDT
Quoting:It gets mighty hot here in the summer, and I've been wearing a lot of flip flops.

We call them thongs. We have another name for what you call thongs.
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 30, 2009
12:58 AM EDT
Back in the '70s, we also called them thongs ... until the other kind of thongs appeared.
tracyanne

Sep 30, 2009
1:17 AM EDT
We call them G-Strings My Mum calls them rude
Bob_Robertson

Sep 30, 2009
9:39 AM EDT
I haven't worn "real" shoes on a regular basis for years. Always flip-flops, because it's easier to put them on and take them off at the door-step.

The house is so much cleaner that way.

Businesses aren't individuals. While principles are nice, a business has to change constantly to remain profitable. An individual can have principles to live by.

Let's wonder, therefore, what is unprofitable (or perceived as unprofitable) about the position which has been flopped (or flipped).
jdixon

Sep 30, 2009
11:44 PM EDT
> The warming of the earth over recent decades isn't politics. It's measurable. It's scientific fact.

Well, expect for the last decade, in which it seems to have largely stopped (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3624242/The...). However, you're correct, we are in a warm period. Of course, it's happened before (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/globalwarming/medieval.html), and it will happen again.

> Of course, many people will ignore facts that don't suit a political agenda.

And others will abuse any facts which remotely might suit theirs. That's the nature of politics.

And, as Bob points out, economics is equally factually based.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!