Not exactly fair

Story: Reviews praise Ubuntu 9.10, knock Ubuntu Moblin RemixTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
caitlyn

Oct 17, 2009
2:13 PM EDT
First, I've always found negative reviews of beta products, such as the one linked for the Moblin remix, to be unfair. A beta, by definition, is a work in progress. Save the critique for the final release. OK< Ars Technica tests everything, but Desktop Linux didn't have to pick up on it and summarize it the way they did.

Next, I find the original UNR to be far superior to Moblin in any form. Am I the only one? IT's much more flexible and I really don't see what additional goodness Moblin brings to the table. It's got buzz because it's an Intel project, not because it's better.

Is anyone else underwhelmed by adding cloud features? I'm not going to trust Canonical or anyone else with my personal data. Cloud banking? That's downright scary. RMS gets it right when it comes to cloud computing.

Finally, "desktop favorite"? In terms of mind share, almost certainly. In terms of number of users, well... maybe, but the folks at Fedora have been disputing that one. In terms of quality? Not recently, but I have to admit Karmic does look promising. We'll see.

gus3

Oct 17, 2009
3:12 PM EDT
If Intel built the system bottom-up with their own ICC compiler, I might be impressed.

Otherwise, meh.
herzeleid

Oct 17, 2009
4:28 PM EDT
@caitlyn

The difference with the ubuntu cloud is that, unlike other distros, they give you the tools to build your own private cloud, made of your own ubuntu servers, on your own locked-down premises, and not just store all your data "out there" somewhere on someone elses disks.

It uses the same API as the amazon cloud though, so it leverages a lot of the tools out there.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!