Nice

Story: The next document I put together will be done with LyXTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
techiem2

Nov 08, 2009
3:35 PM EDT
This reminded me that I wanted to try out Lyx. So I got it all installed and started working on the administration manual for LatteLock. Wow.. I'd done a fairly comprehensive documentation project before in OpenOffice (like 6 years ago I believe) and was pleased with it, but Lyx is sooo much nicer. Just set the document format to what works for what you are doing (Book format in this case), and go. Set the appropriate section types as you go along. Any time you want to see what it really looks like just generate the DVI or PDF and open it. I'm hooked, and I know I'm barely scratching the surface of its power.
montezuma

Nov 08, 2009
4:00 PM EDT
I have used it continually for 5 years now for writing scientific papers. Nothing like it.

One very nice feature is the close relation to latex. You can export to latex reliably and then hack the finishing touches to get the format and styles just so. I find it much less distracting that way than having to remember a whole bunch of latex syntax. I submit papers to a whole bunch of different journals all with differing style requirements usually handled by latex style files. The above method of combining lyx with latex has never failed me.

Lyx simply rules. And a former regular on Lxer Martin Vermeer is a developer as well.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 08, 2009
4:08 PM EDT
I use straight up LaTeX in Vim. There's an *excellent* plugin for Vim called LaTeX-suite that makes writing a breeze in Vim.
montezuma

Nov 08, 2009
4:25 PM EDT
Yeah I tried Kile for a while which sounds similar in concept. In the end I went back to lyx because entry particularly of formulae was faster. After talking to many people I find that which you prefer is personal. One thing that has improved a lot recently in lyx are the toolbars. I string a whole bunch around the gui and that speeds things up lot.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!