Go looks promising

Story: Go: A New Programming Language from GoogleTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Nov 11, 2009
4:33 PM EDT
Go looks very promising. I like compiled languages for their raw speed and for static linking but I also love Python's expressiveness and speed of development. Looks like this could be the best of both worlds!
dinotrac

Nov 11, 2009
4:53 PM EDT
And -- it means all of your apps can now send info back to Google for collection in their massive user info database.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 11, 2009
5:17 PM EDT
Eh? I don't know what you're smoking but I bet it came from Amsterdam!
dinotrac

Nov 11, 2009
5:21 PM EDT
Well, I can't verify that go does that, but it would be the first Google product that didn't snoop 'n save.
tuxchick

Nov 11, 2009
5:38 PM EDT
Now dino, put down the tinfoil hat. Suspecting Google of being snoopy is like suspecting Microsoft of being untruthful.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 11, 2009
5:43 PM EDT
@dino: It's a programming language, not an application. It's a specification. A piece of paper.

Oh, and the compiler is built into GCC, so *if* it's phoning back to anyone it will be phoning RMS whenever you try to compile non-free software ;-)
gus3

Nov 11, 2009
7:01 PM EDT
Sigh.

Compiling non-free software is allowed with the GCC suite. Discouraged, but not prohibited. The GCC license does not automatically propagate to its compiled targets.
dinotrac

Nov 11, 2009
7:01 PM EDT
Sander --

Clever folks, thouse Googlistas. The truth will be found after 143 years of careful code audits.

At that point, we can all march down to the nation's capitol, Google City.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 11, 2009
7:14 PM EDT
@Gus: I know. See that smiley at the end of my previous post? :-)
jezuch

Nov 12, 2009
3:19 AM EDT
Quoting:At that point, we can all march down to the nation's capitol, Google City.

I've got a video for you. Not exactly Google City, but close ;) http://www.theonion.com/content/video/google_opt_out_feature...
dinotrac

Nov 12, 2009
9:25 AM EDT
jezuch --

love it.
hkwint

Nov 12, 2009
9:28 AM EDT
Quoting:At that point, we can all march down to the nation's capitol, Google City.

Ey Dino, whazzup, yet another referral to the Marchin' Morons?

Anyway, you might wonder why it's called GO. Google says it has something to do with compiling large programs 'within seconds'.

It comes as no surprise that the chars GO are the first and last one of GentoO. So now you know why they made it. 10 years compiling and still no working system.
dinotrac

Nov 12, 2009
9:42 AM EDT
>compiling large programs 'within seconds'.

Yes, it's pretty cool. Somebody found a twenty year old copy of Turbo Pascal and monkeyed around with it for a bit.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 12, 2009
9:59 AM EDT
I think it's more akin to the D programming language than with Turbo Pascal.
dinotrac

Nov 12, 2009
10:11 AM EDT
Sander -

No. Everything is a logical development of Turbo Pascal. Do a hex dump on the GCC code and rearrange the letters -- except that you've got to use '1' for 'l' and imagine a backwards '2' for 'r', and you'll see its got borland all over it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!