gThumb I'm using it tonight

Story: Heard at the Ubuntu Developer Summit: Goodbye GIMP, hello ... nothing &ndash and why every Linux user should consider gThumb over F-SpotTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 19, 2009
10:49 PM EDT
In all my bellyaching over image editors in Linux that don't obliterate the IPTC metadata in JPEGs, nobody mentioned gThumb. It's surprisingly powerful for an "image viewer." It's not quite IrfanView (which along with Notepad++ is the only other Windows app I swear by), but gThumb does the basics quite well: resize, crop, add an IPTC caption (though not an IPTC credit, which I can live with), not destroy an IPTC caption.

Really, that's all I need, and it's damn hard to find in just about any other FOSS application.

digiKam does all of this, but it's much more complicated. I could possibly go back to digiKam at this point, but gThumb is just so darn easy ...

I'm cutting images in gThumb tonight. I've still got a few things to figure out. It's nice to see that gThumb is still under development: http://gthumb.sourceforge.net/news.html (I wondered a bit about that.)

Like I say in the overly long post this is based on, I'm OK with Ubuntu dumping GIMP -- It's easy enough to add, but I really think they should dump F-Spot and replace it with gThumb. GThumb = no Mono, more features, no pesky database ...
techiem2

Nov 19, 2009
11:16 PM EDT
I've mainly been using gqview for my basic image stuffs. I read over the article and decided to give gthumb a try as well to see how it behaves.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!