How is this story about GNU/Linux or Free/Open Software?

Story: Strange Ideas About Freedom of SpeechTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
cubrewer

Nov 29, 2009
2:56 PM EDT
Speaking of choices, why IS LXer posting stuff like this that is clearly off-topic?

I am open-minded about what's on-topic, but this is not even close.

And isn't it more than a bit ironic that a philosophical debate about who controls the podium was posted to LXer, putatively an outlet for "Linux News" ("The world is talking about GNU/Linux and Free/Open Source Software")?

Let me guess... the only responses I'll get to this post is chastisement from the thought police, (and at some point, some troll will drag gender into it and I'll be abused because I dared to criticize a woman).
caitlyn

Nov 29, 2009
3:27 PM EDT
The last paragraph sounds like an attempt to attack me and the editors of LXer.com. The article was, in part, about LXer.com and is therefore, IMNSHO, on topic. You disagree and that's fine. The last paragraph isn't.
tuxchick

Nov 29, 2009
3:35 PM EDT
cubrewer, the subject is absolutely on-topic for Linux and FOSS-- freedom and freedom of speech are core FOSS values. Some folks even assert that coding and software freedom are part and parcel of free speech. Everyone who admins a forum, mailing list, or IRC channel struggles with how to allow the free flow of ideas and discussions without getting drowned in useless noise.

Friendly hint: the 'Submit story' link is up there, and I encourage everyone who, out of the hundreds of stories posted on LXer each week sees only the ones that annoy them, to make use of that link.

**edit** Yeah I'm touchy about 'why is this story posted here' comments. I get boatloads of 'em at brand x. It's like this joke:

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=pr...
gus3

Nov 29, 2009
4:21 PM EDT
@tc:

It is law, not merely an assertion; the 9th Circuit ruled for Daniel J. Bernstein.
jacog

Nov 30, 2009
5:13 AM EDT
I'm a tad iffy on total freedom as a concept. If someone submitted an article titled "Linux in China: Chinks Suck At FOSS", I should bloody hope it does not get published here, but on the other hand, I guess that's just fine on the KKK's* web site.

But re cubrewer's post. This issue always comes up on news-wire type sites, so in that respect it is relevant.

* Ku Klux Klan, that is, not Kubuntu Karmic Koala. ;)
dinotrac

Nov 30, 2009
8:44 AM EDT
Quoting: The last paragraph isn't.

Why am I not surprised to see that reaction?

Whoops! That's probably unacceptable, too. Darn.
gus3

Nov 30, 2009
10:59 AM EDT
Uh, mods?
jacog

Nov 30, 2009
11:13 AM EDT
You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny.
jdixon

Nov 30, 2009
12:02 PM EDT
> I am open-minded about what's on-topic, but this is not even close.

Since it's about what's appropriate on a moderated site, I'd say it is.

> The last paragraph sounds like an attempt to attack me and the editors of LXer.com.

No, the first paragraph was an attempt to criticize (not attack) the editors. The last paragraph was a comment regarding the comments and posters on LXer, based on the writers analysis of past conversations. However, if you actually consider it an attack, there's an old saying which seems applicable: If the shoe fits...

> Whoops! That's probably unacceptable, too.

Almost certainly.

> If someone submitted an article titled "Linux in China: Chinks Suck At FOSS"

Well, that would depend on how factual the article was, wouldn't it? I haven't researched the contributions of China to FOSS recently.
gus3

Nov 30, 2009
12:24 PM EDT
@jdixon:

Re-read his title, very carefully.

It's OK, it took me a couple times to see it, too.
dinotrac

Nov 30, 2009
12:35 PM EDT
gus3 --

A little help. Some of us aren't as smart as you are.
bigg

Nov 30, 2009
12:41 PM EDT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chink
dinotrac

Nov 30, 2009
12:44 PM EDT
Oh -- that title. I thought you were talking about the title of the thread.
tuxchick

Nov 30, 2009
12:54 PM EDT
Quoting: You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny.

At least I have a mother!
dinotrac

Nov 30, 2009
1:10 PM EDT
TC --

No spontaneous generation?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!