One interesting this here.

Story: Linux Documentation From A User's ViewpointTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tracyanne

Dec 01, 2009
5:04 PM EDT
When I'm asked to help non tech people, be it on Windows, or Linux, or even Macs, Rarely do they want an explanation of what's happening. Invariably I get told to just tell me what to do.

In other words in my experience most people don't want to know why, just how. From then on they operate by rote. Has anyone else noticed that most people can tell you what they do, but not why, other, that is, than "because it makes x happen"
techiem2

Dec 01, 2009
5:09 PM EDT
And our current college courses to "teach" computer use just reinforce that. All MS-Centric, all purely operation based. "Click this ribbon, click this icon, highlight this, click this, type this....."
tracyanne

Dec 01, 2009
5:18 PM EDT
But it's the same in most endevours. How many people do you know, who can explain what happens when you turn a steering wheel on a car, other, that is, than "it makes the car turn"?

A lot of people don't understand the relationship between live animals, say cattle and sheep, and the meat they buy at the butcher.

I think most people aren't interested in why, just what, and sometimes how.
vainrveenr

Dec 01, 2009
7:56 PM EDT
Quoting:I think most people aren't interested in why, just what, and sometimes how.
At the same time, there are numerous basic terms that in effect become mandatory to know and use. Silly as it will seem to readers here, such basic Hardware terms could certainly include "keyboard", the "ENTER" key on the keyboard, "mouse", "monitor", "CD/DVD-ROM drive", "USB device" ("floppy disk" in years past), , "the Power ON button", "the power cord", "network cable", ... etcetera. People using computers for a little longer may probably get accustomed to hearing and using the basic terms "system box", "CPU" or "processor", "memory", "internal hard drive" (and its related term "disk space"), "applications", "upgrades", and more {fill in one's must-know terms here}. So even "purely operation based" teaching methods must intrinsically require learning and using such obviously basic terminology.

tracyanne

Dec 01, 2009
8:03 PM EDT
Don't forget the "Any Key" that's always hard to find.
jezuch

Dec 02, 2009
3:21 AM EDT
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030128
caitlyn

Dec 02, 2009
10:30 AM EDT
Quoting:"CD/DVD-ROM drive"

You mean that isn't a cup holder?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!