Here we go again

Story: First Word from Utah in SCO v. Novell: Trial Set for MarchTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
caitlyn

Dec 03, 2009
11:48 AM EDT
I just wish some court somewhere would put SCO out of our misery already. I guess whatever the outcome in March there will be some basis for appeal and this thing will keep going and going and going longer than the Energizer bunny.
phsolide

Dec 03, 2009
1:51 PM EDT
Personally, I think the fix is in on this one, just like it was in the MSFT anti-trust trial.

Only when a blind person could see it, does a ruling go in favor of Novell, IBM, Red Hat, or any other defendant. Any other time, SCO gets their way: overlength memos, requests for delays, bankruptcy recovery plans that always fall through, they're getting by with *everything*.

The obvious connection here is that one of SCO's lawyers is the son of Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah, and a lot of the Utah judges sorta kinda owe Senator Hatch one. But what about the Occult Hand of Microsoft? 10s of billions don't cost you influence anywhere. A general, "atmospheric" pro-Microsoft attitude probably pervades the Federal Government.
Bob_Robertson

Dec 03, 2009
2:35 PM EDT
I must agree, Phsolide. I have never heard of so much abuse of court procedures, failure to obey court orders, obvious foot-dragging, not getting the judge's ire.

I'm not much of a believer in conspiracy theories, much to the surprise of a few here I'm sure. This one is not a theory: SCO is getting serious preferential treatment in this case(s).

gus3

Dec 03, 2009
5:29 PM EDT
One thing PJ has repeatedly pointed out: By giving SCO so much leeway, when they lose the case later, it greatly reduces the odds of a successful appeal.
tuxchick

Dec 03, 2009
6:33 PM EDT
yeah gus, when their appeal is finally heard in Y3K they probably will not win.
jdixon

Dec 03, 2009
9:34 PM EDT
> it greatly reduces the odds of a successful appeal.

It does? Then why was the summary judgment overturned on appeal?
gus3

Dec 04, 2009
1:07 AM EDT
"Odds", not "possibility". Plus, the judgment being summary makes it much more likely to be overturned, for the simple reason that it's a judgment granted without a full trial.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!