Anyone want to bet...

Story: Linux Is Regaining Netbook Market Share QuicklyTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
caitlyn

Dec 06, 2009
4:59 PM EDT
Anyone want to bet that the continuous stream of articles claiming that Linux has failed on netbooks and on the desktop will continue unabated? The claims that Linux is just 1% of the market (if even that) and is only of interest to propeller heads will quote old data and ignore anything contradictory. Many of the claims will come from professional "journalists" who will proclaim that Linux is just not ready for the masses and probably never will be. Meanwhile people have to go out of their way to buy Linux on machines that can run Windows and Linux still captures 32% of the netbook market. Does anyone else find that amazing considering all the Microsoft efforts to kill Linux on netbooks and netbooks in general?
tracyanne

Dec 06, 2009
7:29 PM EDT
I think you are correct.
techiem2

Dec 06, 2009
7:35 PM EDT
They're all just standing around with their fingers in their ears. "lalalala I can't hear you! lalalala Linux has no market share! lalalala Windows will dominate all computing forever! lalalalala"

After all, as soon as they admit that Linux has market share, they have to admit that it's doing something better than windows. Which means they'll have to start writing real articles that actually explore real issues like security and usability, rather than just "New version of Windows out! Now with more Bling! Go buy now!".
caitlyn

Dec 06, 2009
7:40 PM EDT
ta: I wish I wasn't.

techiem2: Pretty much. Bing is so wonderful, though. Instead of presenting all that nasty information a search engine like Google or Cuil or Mooter does it decides for you what you want to see. It gives you the world through Microsoft colored glasses. What a revelation!
bigg

Dec 06, 2009
9:26 PM EDT
A lot of "journalists" believe that the only credible source is someone who works for Microsoft. I've read a lot of garbage about netbooks that is clearly straight from the Microsoft PR department. It's probably easy to call MS and get in touch with someone. The Christmas gifts are probably pretty good too.
dinotrac

Dec 06, 2009
9:36 PM EDT
Let's see what happens when netbooks start running on super-efficient processors that do not use the intel instruction set.

Guess they'll have to use Windows NW for that (No Way).
jdixon

Dec 06, 2009
10:14 PM EDT
> ...it decides for you what you want to see. It gives you the world through Microsoft colored glasses.

http://www.ubersoft.net/comic/hd/2009/06/very-decisive-indee...
hkwint

Dec 07, 2009
5:29 AM EDT
What I'm wondering is this:

Obviously, Microsoft & co are doing a great job of making Linux unavailable and invisible in the West. Therefore, market share of Linux on netbooks here might be - let's say 10%. "Journalists" over here like to picture that as a failure.

But if it's 10% over here, then somewhere else it has to be 50% or so, to compensate and reach a total of 30% worldwide.

And if it's 50% somewhere, then somewhere people - and even journalists - will notice that something else than Windows is popular.

Like Nikkels posted here before, in some parts of Asia it's very common to see computers with Linux pre-installed in the shops, even from big brands like HP etc.

So writing 'real articles with real content' would probably mean doing 'real journalism' and finding out where the market share of Windows is low. But that means contacting people from Asia to get real numbers, and trying to read Asian languages. I've tried to find Asian numbers in the past, and I can't find them. And because I'm no real journalist, contacting the people over there is not something I tried (OK, I did an attempt to call Asus in Taiwan and ask them about Linux-sales, but because of the timezone-difference I failed).
bigg

Dec 07, 2009
7:29 AM EDT
@Hans

Most of the "tech journalists" have no idea what an OS is. I'd bet that two thirds of them would believe a MS rep if told that Linux is a program that runs on Windows. jerryleecooper is representative of tech journalists:

http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12355-0.html?forumID=1&thread...
caitlyn

Dec 07, 2009
11:56 AM EDT
@bigg: Not only is he incredibly ignorant he tries to insist that anyone who knows differently has to be wrong. Ya gotta love people who are mighty in their ignorance.
number6x

Dec 07, 2009
12:39 PM EDT
bigg,

That is an amazing link. It sums up much of what is wrong with internet forums and replies.

Truly amazing!
montezuma

Dec 07, 2009
2:11 PM EDT
Bigg, That link is astounding. Are you sure that guy is for real and not an Onion writer? If he is for real what is his role at Zdnet? Such monumental ignorance (or clever satire I'm still not sure) should surely be brought to the attention of the Managing editor of Zdnet.
jdixon

Dec 07, 2009
2:13 PM EDT
> Are you sure that guy is for real and not an Onion writer?....Such monumental ignorance (or clever satire I'm still not sure)

That's a debated matter among the ZDNet regulars, apparently.
bigg

Dec 07, 2009
2:56 PM EDT
As I recall, he does not work at ZDNet. I don't know if he has a title of "tech journalist" but his statements are pretty much what we get from those with that title.

I was assuming everyone already knew about Jerry Lee Cooper, he got a lot of coverage a couple years ago.
caitlyn

Dec 07, 2009
3:14 PM EDT
You know what happens when you assume... I don't know how I missed it before but, yes, I missed it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!