pitiful!

Story: I like Win 7, but I've already drawn up a Win 8 wishlistTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
tuxchick

Dec 09, 2009
12:13 PM EDT
"End to 16-bit/32-bit support" ?? The world has not yet moved 100% to 64-bit, and for a lot of users there is no need to, and may even pay a bit of performance penalty. I think this is an error.

The rest of the list is pitiful, and carefully ignores core problems like security, stability, real multi-user support, idiotic EULAs that I believe are really jokes, and with each new iteration their lawyers laugh themselves sicker at the suckers, different Windows versions that are merely differently crippled to justify a different price tag, and a 5 GB install that includes zero productivity software. 5GB on a Linux system gives you just about everything there is: office, developer, multimedia, system and network administration... sigh.
hkwint

Dec 09, 2009
12:42 PM EDT
In reality, rumours have it MS is aiming at the 'Linux' experience - with one and only one OS for desk-, laptops, nettops, netbooks and smartphones.
gus3

Dec 09, 2009
1:10 PM EDT
Someone else already occupies the smartphone space. In fact, a few someone's.

Microsoft's attempt to crack open that space was a dismal flop. Thanks in part to their willingness to tolerate system crashes, and thanks in part to others' presence giving customers a choice.
hkwint

Dec 09, 2009
3:21 PM EDT
And they were too early with the whole UMPC thing - which nowadays is called 'smartmook' and doesn't run Windows.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!