It's about time

Story: PC fits into keyboard, uses only five WattsTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
patrokov

Dec 18, 2009
10:21 AM EDT
It's about time that we return to the glory days of the Commodore 64. I wish I still had mine. I still mourn the Amiga I never had the opportunity to play Faerie Tale Adventure on.
bigg

Dec 18, 2009
10:48 AM EDT
It's $99 for the Linux version and $150 for XP. Yet another leak in the Microsoft boat. Even if the Linux version disappears before it comes to market, a few months down the road it will be something else.
jacog

Dec 18, 2009
11:01 AM EDT
Windows 7 is out now, so I find it odd the Microsofties are still allowing new hardware to be shipped with XP.

Slightly unrelated, a colleague just got a netbook pre-loaded with Windows 7 Starter Edition. It's so locked down one cannot even change the desktop wallpaper.
tracyanne

Dec 18, 2009
3:58 PM EDT
But Jacog people will only be using netbooks to surf the web, they won't need to change the wallpaper.
jhansonxi

Dec 18, 2009
4:30 PM EDT
I bought a like-new pre-owned Dell Inspiron 11z from a friend. It had Vista Home Premium on it. To make it usable I put Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 1 on it. Everything seems to work.

My problem with these keyboard-integrated devices is that they don't offer much over a netbook. You gain a full-sized keyboard and number pad but lose the screen. For a thin client I would rather have a small box that bolts under the table and a cheap keyboard that is easily replaced.
klhrevolution

Jan 08, 2010
12:29 AM EDT
I apologize for the late comment but I'm just wondering for those more advanced shall we say ?geeks? what downsides they see to this thing.

I'm not familiar with the processor so dunno how good a brand it is although I've seen norhtec mentioned quite a few times on linuxdevices.. Also it's fanless like a netbook not sure if that's going to be an issue for today's web usage or not. Any insight please do tell opinions are also good.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 08, 2010
1:45 PM EDT
Well, I'm not certain about the specifications of the unit since I haven't tried it, but I can say that my 1GHz Athalon "media server" can't deal with video by itself. I had to get a nvidia card, and that does work, but I couldn't go to anything very good because this box has no AGP or PCI-e slots, just PCI.

So I've seen that a good GPU can compensate for a middling CPU.

As to Jhansonxi's question, I went out over the weekend to buy a keyboard. I bought the cheapest USB keyboard I could find, a Logitech-200 for $12. It works just fine.

Commodity hardware, gotta love it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!