Technology and Freedom

Story: Linux Will Save The WorldTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
beirwin

Jan 12, 2010
9:41 PM EDT
Thanks, Carla, for another thoughtful post.

Technology and freedom go hand in hand. Without the freedom, we're back into the proprietary world with a vengeance. Control freaks are everywhere -- the RIAA, the MPAA, the patent trolls, the DRM types, etc. etc. It's imperative that we preserve this wonderful thing called the Internet as a common resource for all to use. I am old enough to remember when there was no Internet, so I don't take it for granted. To dismiss these concerns by saying "it's just politics and I'm not interested" is a major cop-out, IMNSHO.

As Joni Mitchell wrote in her song, Big Yellow Taxi: "Don't it always seem to go That you don't know what you've got Till it's gone They paved paradise And put up a parking lot"

Exactly.
theBeez

Jan 13, 2010
3:28 AM EDT
I wish Carla would take other ethics as serious as that "freedom". My comment on her article has been deleted again (see other thread - an exact copy). That's what happens when technical writers think that writing in itself is the only asset needed for a journalist - or even an editor. LinuxToday is quickly turning into the Fox News of the FOSS world, when Carla continues to view it merely as a platform for her own, personal opinions and political agenda.
bigg

Jan 13, 2010
9:39 AM EDT
> My comment on her article has been deleted again

Too bad LXer doesn't do the same thing with your comments. I'd happily see Bob go on with post after post about libertarian politics than see yet another one of your posts whining about Carla.
theBeez

Jan 13, 2010
12:22 PM EDT
@bigg I'm disturbed that so many people like you simply shrug their shoulders over the quality of the media covering FOSS. But I don't want your comments deleted.
bigg

Jan 13, 2010
12:38 PM EDT
@Beez

It's one thing to make a comment. With very few exceptions I do not have a problem with FOSS-related comments. There's a difference when you hijack every thread on her articles (and even some not) to complain that you can't comment on her articles. You've made your point.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 13, 2010
12:53 PM EDT
> I'd happily see Bob go on with post after post about libertarian politics than see yet another one of your posts whining about Carla.

Make that "voluntaryist" it would be more accurate. :^) Or maybe "Non-aggression" or "Austrian Economics".

> LinuxToday is quickly turning into the Fox News of the FOSS world, when Carla continues to view it merely as a platform for her own, personal opinions and political agenda.

The error is in believing that somehow "Fox News" represents some kind of abberation. When one agrees with the bias, it's not bias, just good thinking.

I like bias. I think an editor's bias should be right out where everyone can see it. No half-truths trying to hide behind "fair" or "balanced", no idiocy like "all the news that's fit to print" while forgetting to mention what the criteria is for "unfit".

If you disagree with a point, state your disagreement and support your position.

I am very glad to say that no post I've ever made on L.T. has been deleted, even when it is utterly opposed to the position of Carla or anyone else. Carla likes VPNs, I loath them, and there it ends.

The posts telling me I'm wrong are not deleted either, and everyone learns something and walks away. At least I hope they do.
theBeez

Jan 13, 2010
1:03 PM EDT
@Bob Robertson That's exactly my point: not one of mine was ever deleted until I went front up. It doesn't matter whatever I post; it gets deleted. That's a PERSONAL bias. Still think that is that good for an editor? Where I come from, it isn't.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 13, 2010
1:29 PM EDT
> until I went front up.

Then I suggest you not be "front up", or just take your business from L.T. so they don't get your ad views.
jdixon

Jan 13, 2010
3:27 PM EDT
> I am very glad to say that no post I've ever made on L.T. has been deleted...

I don't think any of mine have either, though entire threads have been shutdown on occasion. :(

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!