ya think?

Story: Internet Explorer vulnerable on Windows 7Total Replies: 8
Author Content
tuxchick

Jan 17, 2010
10:45 PM EDT
Do I have to read the article to learn anything beyond what the headline says?
jhansonxi

Jan 17, 2010
10:51 PM EDT
Further proof of Microsoft's commitment to backwards compatibility.
r_a_trip

Jan 18, 2010
3:49 AM EDT
Ironic, how the most secure kernel on paper is mauled by its user land.

The few things MS has to do to get a secure system is to force strict user separation and to do a code audit for vulnerabilities. They won't do it though. As long as the unwashed masses buy their wares with defects included, MS sees no need to spend money on sound engineering.

Microsoft, living proof you can build an empire on spaghetti code.
gus3

Jan 18, 2010
3:56 AM EDT
Audit of Microsoft code? Sure, if you've got 20 years to spare.
jdixon

Jan 18, 2010
10:23 AM EDT
> ...and to do a code audit for vulnerabilities.

They claim they've done that at least twice, I believe. Once with the transition to Vista and once after the leaked source code. They made a big deal of it in the press both times. Of course, the vulnerabilities which were demonstrated after both "audits" demonstrated that the old bugs were still there.
TxtEdMacs

Jan 18, 2010
12:51 PM EDT
All of You!:

It's time to stop being so demanding. Old bugs that reside in multiple locations and components are hard to find and expensive to fix. Therefore, I have a proactive recommendation:

We start a fund drive to have Windows Fixed. Right? Yes!

The facts are most users will stick with Windows despite its many flaws and security deficiencies, hence, we that know better must protect them from their own inertia+. As responsible citizens we must fund the correction of this great social and security problem. And we are the ones that can help MS accomplish that task.

YBT

+ Even I am forced to run a Windows partition to view DVD movies that fail to even start on LInux. Previously it was menus and settings that were missing*. See this project helps everyone, because currently I am forced to disconnect my LAN connection to keep this machine safe while running Windows.

* I remember way back when I ran DVDs off my Linux laptop connected to my large LCD monitor that failed to work under Windows for my son.

P.S. I will be setting up a special account in Der Switz, which will accept electronic cash transfers as well as money orders, bank checks, personal checks or simple cash** in an envelope. Looking forward to your generous contributions.

** Please use bank notes and not coins, use the extra amount you save in postage to be more generous. Thank You!
gus3

Jan 18, 2010
1:44 PM EDT
Of all the shilling OBT has done, this has to be the most reasonable suggestion by far:

Quoting:We start a fund drive to have Windows Fixed. Right? Yes!
Unfortunately for OBT, M$ beat him by 15 years, when they started the Windows Upgrade Cycle.
jdixon

Jan 18, 2010
5:30 PM EDT
> We start a fund drive to have Windows Fixed.

Sorry txt, but I already contributed to such a find twice back in the 90's (when I paid for Windows 3.0 and 3.1 on machines I purchased) and again just recently (when I purchased a copy of XP Home for my wife to use on her gaming machine).

Perhaps ironically, this recent purchase means I've spent more for Windows (which I only use for work) than I have for Slackware (which I use all the time). Looks like it's time to purchase the next release of Slackware to restore the natural balance.

Oh, and obviously any such fund should go to fund ReactOS, which is really the only way to "fix" Windows.
tracyanne

Jan 18, 2010
5:37 PM EDT
http://www.news.com.au/world/french-government-calls-on-inte... French Government says abandon IE

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!