Title is wrong

Story: PHP Developers Prefer Using Windows to Build Enterprise Apps: StudyTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
herzeleid

Feb 18, 2010
6:34 PM EDT
From the article itself, the majority of php developers surveyed prefer non-microsoft platforms.

Only 42% of them prefer to develop on windows - yes, just 42% and they make it sound like some sort of strident demand for microsoft windows. Whatever are they teaching in the schools these days?
tracyanne

Feb 18, 2010
7:24 PM EDT
There is a very high likelyhood that the majority of those [the 42%] are developing on Windows simply because that's what they are given as the desktop to work on. In almost every case where I've worked in a corporate environment, you work on the desktop the company chooses, even when the tools are cross platform. Most Corporations will be using Windows as the corporate desktop.

The important bit, and what Microsoft has spent so much time and effort attempting to reverse, is that only 11% of the Servers used for those applications are Windows.

herzeleid

Feb 18, 2010
8:32 PM EDT
Quoting:The important bit, and what Microsoft has spent so much time and effort attempting to reverse, is that only 11% of the Servers used for those applications are Windows.
That is a very good point, and something you will never read about in a microsoft report.

A couple years ago I was talking to a friend who worked at myspace, and he had asked the developers there why they used microsoft windows servers and didn't consider linux. Their answer was amusing, as they in effect said "microsoft windows and dot net are so superior and so advanced, there is no way we could ever consider linux, because there's no way we could ever do all this cool stuff on a platform other than microsoft windows"

But then facebook, which is a classic LAMP site, proceeded to eat their lunch, really pushing myspace into irrelevance. Massive layoffs have been ocurring as myspace continues to decline, while facebook is exploding.

So much for microsoft and dot net being the be all and end all of computer science and technology.

On the developer desktop side, even with all the microsoft inertia we all know so well, let's keep in mind that 42% is still a minority.
TxtEdMacs

Feb 18, 2010
8:46 PM EDT
Quoting: [...] keep in mind that 42% [MS/Windows] is still a minority.
And I will work my heart for them ... as long as the checks don't bounce.

YBT

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!