Wanted: Forum/mailinglist software

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Mar 20, 2010
8:06 AM EDT
Hello you smart people. I am looking for a piece of software that acts both as a forum and as a mailinglist. I'm part of a small re-enactment community here in The Netherlands. We only have 15 members or so. I *know* that a regular forum isn't going to work for such a small group. Not enough messages will be posted, so people won't check it regularly, so even less messages get posted, etcetera. This is why I recommended to set up a mailinglist instead. Mailinglists are passive. You get the messages anyway, you don't have to go out and check manually. But a couple of technophobes in our group really prefer a forum because that's what they know how to use.

So, I'm looking for a piece of software that does *both*. Something akin to what Google Groups or Yahoogroups are doing. People can register but opt to not recieve e-mail but check the messages (and reply) though a webinterface instead.

Of course, said piece of software should be open source so my anti-clod paranoid self can install in on my own server.

Any tips?
jdixon

Mar 20, 2010
9:27 AM EDT
> Any tips?

Heres's a discussion about just such a request: http://answers.google.com/answers/main?cmd=threadview&id=235...

I don't think they specified Free software though.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 20, 2010
9:40 AM EDT
Thanks. I tried out all the suggestions in that discussion but without success. The discussion is from 2003 and pretty much all software recommended in it is defunct.

I could roll my own but processing e-mail is *hard*.
jdixon

Mar 20, 2010
7:12 PM EDT
> I tried out all the suggestions in that discussion but without success.

Nothing to thank me for then. :(

You cannot post until you login.