How many times will the less than 1% BS have to be debunked?

Story: 50 Places Linux is Running That You Might Not ExpectTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
caitlyn

Mar 25, 2010
6:25 PM EDT
I followed the link to the source of the latest 1% B.S. It doesn't specify how the numbers were obtained or from where. "There are lies, d@mn lies and statistics" seems to apply here. In fact, here is the only piece of info given: "This report contains preview data that has NOT been reviewed by Quality Assurance." Hmmm... may because there is no quality to assure.

Oh yeah, otherwise the article is pretty good, other than mixing up desktop space and server space. (Nobody really believes Linux is less that 1% including server space, do they?)
jacog

Mar 26, 2010
4:39 AM EDT
No, and I recall a Microsoft presentation from maybe last year-ish that estimated it a lot higher, like 40 percenti-ish higher.
dinotrac

Mar 26, 2010
7:34 AM EDT
caitlyn --

I don't know. Some low number including server space might be right -- but only because user-interface machines (I'm growing weary of the term "desktop" in this netbook world) outnumber servers so seriously.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 26, 2010
8:16 AM EDT
The myth will have to be debunked every time it comes up, otherwise people will believe the un-countered assertion.

Look what happened when Hayek didn't immediately debunk Keynes!

Dino, I'm right there with you. I'm also finding other ways to say my personal machine, rather than the "d" word.
tuxchick

Mar 26, 2010
9:55 AM EDT
Salma Hayek was an economist? What an amazing, multi-talented woman.
dinotrac

Mar 26, 2010
10:07 AM EDT
Yes, amazing. I hear she's good-looking, too.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 26, 2010
10:53 AM EDT
> Salma Hayek

Now where have I seen those before?
gus3

Mar 26, 2010
11:14 AM EDT
"Wild, Wild West."

...and so the thread returns to FOSS...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!