Not just no, but heck no!

Story: Windows Security: is Microsoft innocent?Total Replies: 20
Author Content
phsolide

Apr 26, 2010
10:01 PM EDT
You need to read this article: a self-styled Microsoft Fanboy lays the blame for Windows malware right where it belongs: on Microsoft.

jhansonxi

Apr 26, 2010
11:18 PM EDT
Yes, they are innocent. Just read the EULA.
gus3

Apr 26, 2010
11:31 PM EDT
That's a "hold harmless" clause. It's there because otherwise they'd be sued into oblivion by all 50 states' attorneys general, the RSPCA, the Kansai Prefecture, and Gandhi's estate.
tuxchick

Apr 26, 2010
11:59 PM EDT
And the People's Republic of Uranus.
gus3

Apr 27, 2010
12:07 AM EDT
No, the PRU provided the contract labor to Redmond's development management teams.

I'd think you of all people would have realized that by now, TC.
tuxchick

Apr 27, 2010
12:17 AM EDT
I stand corrected!

:D
dinotrac

Apr 27, 2010
7:11 AM EDT
gus3 --

What does a hold harmless clause have to do with the actions of attorneys general?

It is strictly a matter between licensee and licensor.
gus3

Apr 27, 2010
9:27 AM EDT
Try explaining that to Microsoft's "men in black".

Who will be visiting you shortly. (They handle the small fry, like you and Asus.)
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 27, 2010
8:18 PM EDT
Forget MS's men in black, Apple has their own judge and cops and they can raid your house with no subpoena no warrant or warning. Now THAT'S power...;-)
gus3

Apr 27, 2010
9:37 PM EDT
@Scott:

If you're referring to the raid on Jason Chen's house, the two reports I've seen indicated that the police did have a warrant. From Gizmodo:

Quoting:Last Friday night, California's Rapid Enforcement Allied Computer Team entered editor Jason Chen's home without him present, seizing four computers and two servers. They did so using a warrant by Judge of Superior Court of San Mateo. According to Gaby Darbyshire, COO of Gawker Media LLC, the search warrant to remove these computers was invalid under section 1524(g) of the California Penal Code.
http://gizmodo.com/5524843/

(Sec. 1524(g) refers to journalistic protections against search/siezure.)
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 27, 2010
9:59 PM EDT
Amazing isn't it? He was suspected of having some of Steve's stuff that he didn't want looked at yet and POW! Instant Warrant, cops and a illegal search and seizure of some 'journalist'..and we all know how much Steve loves his reporters..;-)
tuxchick

Apr 27, 2010
10:09 PM EDT
Such cynical people! I am quite sure that any ordinary citizen who was a victim of a real felony, oh say like being robbed, as opposed to drunkenly leaving something valuable in a bar, would get the same up-and-at-'em service from California's Rapid Enforcement Allied Computer Team. With a smile.
caitlyn

Apr 27, 2010
10:32 PM EDT
tuxchick also believes in the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny :)
tuxchick

Apr 27, 2010
11:09 PM EDT
I see them all the time, caitlyn, don't you? ;)
caitlyn

Apr 27, 2010
11:13 PM EDT
The Easter bunny doesn't visit us Jewish folks.
tuxchick

Apr 27, 2010
11:23 PM EDT
The Easter bunny shouldn't visit Christian folks either, since the bunny is totally pagan. But I figure candy is non-denominational, so it's all good.
caitlyn

Apr 27, 2010
11:25 PM EDT
True...true...

BTW, I still swear I saw ELiahu Ha'na'vi (Elijah the Prophet) at Passover Seder when I was a kid. Heck, we leave a place set for him and even fill his cup. How could he fail to show up? :)

Aren't our quaint customs interesting? I really wonder what future anthropologists will make of them.
gus3

Apr 27, 2010
11:36 PM EDT
Motel of the Mysteries: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Motel-of-the-Mysteries/Davi...
tracyanne

Apr 27, 2010
11:37 PM EDT
Quoting: Aren't our quaint customs interesting? I really wonder what future anthropologists will make of them.

They will conclude that we loved our children too.
tuxchick

Apr 28, 2010
12:49 AM EDT
Which reminds me of a true anthropologist story. They're studying this remote culture where the people live simply in a little village. They're not backwards, they're just not infested with electronic toys and vehicles. The anthropologists notice concave depressions in the dirt next to the houses and assume they have some sort of religious significance, because everyone knows primitive cultures are superstitious up the wazoo. So they ask "What is the religious significance of these depressions in the dirt"? The townspeople patiently explain that is where the chickens like to take their dust baths.
hkwint

Apr 29, 2010
10:46 AM EDT
Hmm, that's funny, cause I saw a couple of Easter Penguins. Dancing, with his eyes blinking. Still have to post the photo's I'm afraid.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!