Linux News?

Story: VirtualBox beta runs Mac OS XTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
deadrabbit

May 04, 2010
5:02 PM EDT
Why is this on LXer? It only run on a OS X host.
jdixon

May 04, 2010
5:10 PM EDT
> Why is this on LXer?

Perhaps because it lets you run Linux in a virtual machine under OSX?

Also, LXer is about open source, not just Linux, and there is an open source version of Virtualbox.
tracyanne

May 04, 2010
5:54 PM EDT
I coulbn't see anything that says this runs only on MacOSX. It seems to me that it will run on any OS, including Linux, which means running MacOSX in a VM on inux should be possible, something that some Linux users would find useful.
djohnston

May 04, 2010
6:03 PM EDT
As I understand it, Installing OSX on a VM is specifically disallowed under Apple's EULA. Having never installed OSX, I'm not sure if that is true. I don't doubt it, though.
tracyanne

May 04, 2010
6:05 PM EDT
@dj, I think that is correct. However that doesn't stop it from being possible.
techiem2

May 04, 2010
6:23 PM EDT
Yeah.

My first thought upon reading the title was "Here comes another Apple lawsuit".

Followed shortly by "Why would I want to do this?"

But then, I have basically no interest in OSX. hehe.
Scott_Ruecker

May 04, 2010
7:09 PM EDT
Quoting:LXer is about open source, not just Linux, and there is an open source version of Virtualbox

That is why I posted it, I knew it was not directly related to Linux but it is FOSS news..
tmx

May 04, 2010
7:50 PM EDT
Apple v. Oracle next? This should be interesting.

I wonder how many companies Apple can sue.
gus3

May 04, 2010
9:12 PM EDT
Good luck with that. Apple and Microsoft tried to threaten Sun Microsystems with patent stuff, and Sun sent them both packing. Now that Oracle owns Sun, it'd be mutually assured destruction if Apple tried to pull that kind of stupidity again.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!