Bit too expensive

Story: Editor's Note: A Herd of Print Linux MagazinesTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
hkwint

May 22, 2010
7:16 PM EDT
From time to time, I bought Linux magazines. Can't remember what their name was, I tried 'different flavours'.

Usually browse through the index to decide which one I'm going to buy, usually the one with the most interesting topics.

A few years ago, I came across one which had 'music' as a theme. A whole magazine about which soundchips works best with Linux, about M-Audio and RME Hammerfall (cool but expensive cards!) programming with Alsa, setting up Jack and all that goodness. I like theme Linux magazines, especially when they're about a theme I like.

However, lots of those magazines are also for 'beginners', and pretty Ubuntu centric. Normally, those are published by a publisher as a 'side-magazine' to their usual Windows-centric magazine. They're called something like 'Linux special' or 'Linux addendum' or so, sometimes are sold separately and sometimes as a part of the 'mega summer holiday bundle'. They're usually also about setting up some kind of home server, with Linux as a server and Windows as a host.

Here's my problem: Most of them are 'import'. €8 to €10 is the 'usual price'. Of coures, they future a DVD with all kind of 'goodies', but usually it's just too much that's on the DVD, I'm only interested in 10% of it, and I can download it anyway.

So a few things I'd like to notice:

-Those with fast / cheap broadband, like about 80% of the population here in NL, don't want to pay a few Euro's for OOo, VirtualBox & FF on a DVD. We can download it for free! -I think aiming at a certain kind of public is a good thing. Those familiar with Windows, easily recognize the Linux magazines aimed at them. Those like me usually also recognize the 'intermediate' magazines, which usually feature some 'scripting in language X' articles.

As noted, these mags are expensive. To give an idea of just how expensive they are, for that amount of money: -I can buy NL's favourite newspaper one week, six consecutive days in the store, mon-fri & saturday! -I can buy NL's favourite women's weekly magazine, four consecutive weeks, meaning the whole month! -I can buy two 'national' Windows-centered magazines, usually with DVD included. -Or 1 piece of Linux Magazine...

I'm not sure why the Linux magazine's are so expensive. Probably because they're imported from another country (most of them from DE, UK & US), because there's only a tiny amount of companies willing to advertize in them, because it might be harder to find writers, because the smaller numbers of magazines being printed - meaning less economy of scale - and so on.

But it's just expensive! Especially in these times of 'economic trouble', where people may be unemployed. I don't think you're going to spend €10 on a magazine if you're unemployed and have to struggle to make ends meet at the end of the month.

They could start using cheaper paper to print the magazines: Given they're imported - probably coming by plane or so - lighter paper could be good advise. And instead of the DVD, maybe put up a server where people can download that DVD instead? I think upload traffic fares are cheaper than burning, packing & exporting a DVD. That would also serve those not having a working DVD drive. Probably a minority, but 'yours sincerely' belongs to those.

However, the good news: I'd still be willing to pay €10 for a 'theme' edition of some magazine which is about a theme I'd like to know more about. For example, I'm almost an 'absolute beginner to databases', so if there's some theme number about it I'd be glad to buy it. Just like I bought the 'music' theme edition.
Steven_Rosenber

May 23, 2010
1:01 AM EDT
Linux Format magazine is excellent, but it's something like $14 per issue. That's crazy.
theBeez

May 23, 2010
4:57 AM EDT
I've always liked the German publications like 'Linux Magazin' and 'Linux User'. Also the "specials" from 'c't', 'Chip' or 'PC Praxis' that appear every two or three months. Brilliant tests, good, usable articles, perfect. And between $5 and $10 (incl. CD/DVD) they are correctly priced.

My current machine is an installation of those DVD's and before the rise of high speed internet, they were the only means to get those bulky, but required patches, programs, etc. If not for the articles, I still buy them every month - if only to say thanks for their support to the community in the early 2000s. Especially in Holland, where Linux is still a dirty word.
TxtEdMacs

May 23, 2010
9:51 AM EDT
Steven,

RE: Linux Format [serious]

When the cash flow was predictable, I subscribed and the rate was significantly lower with a thirteenth issue included. Moreover, it had a CD or a DVD with each issue, whatever the then current media choice was. If I remember correctly, it still topped $100 USD per year, but for me it was a justifiable business expense.

[/serious]

YBT
Scott_Ruecker

May 23, 2010
1:28 PM EDT
I used to buy a copy or two when going to Fry's Electronics..when my money was more consistent like YBT said...justifiable expense when I had the money otherwise ouch!
jacog

May 24, 2010
4:58 AM EDT
Maaan, I remember when magazines started shipping data cassette tapes with it.
Steven_Rosenber

May 24, 2010
2:41 PM EDT
I think Linux Format is worth $14 an issue. A Corvette is probably worth $50,000, but that doesn't mean I'm buying one (or 12 per year).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!