Virus?

Story: How to Recover Important Data after your System is CrashedTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
zentrader

May 23, 2010
12:08 PM EDT
"Suppose your computer commits suicide by inviting the latest virus"

Obviously this is not how to back up a Linux system.
gus3

May 23, 2010
4:54 PM EDT
Clearly, but that isn't the only way for a system to die. Power surge, head crash, video meltdown...
hkwint

May 24, 2010
8:16 PM EDT
The epic fail that's called 'design of SATA connectors' combined with cheap plastic - which makes some of the connectors break at the first attempt to connect, hoovering and accidentally bumping your head against the power switch while glibc is updating (during the 'copy' phase), screwing up with the '-force' argument while using mdadm (and thereby erasing 1 out of every 2 bits), or replacing a decent mobo-fan with a 'sticky' mobo fan, epic failure 2 because of course at 68C it doesn't glue (bad design!), falls of and your mobo burns, problems with grounding and static electricity which causes a spark of ~4mm (instinct says 400 Volt?) and which leaves a 1cm black burning mark on your radiator you tried to ground it against, those are the things I experienced.

So surely Linux has viruses, over here the most important one is located between monitor and chair. But nonetheless you're right, my computer didn't invite me - the latest virus.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!