Using Amazon S3 directly (instead of via Ubuntu One, etc.)

Story: Amazon Web Services – a brief overviewTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 22, 2010
9:25 PM EDT
I'm going to try starting my own Amazon S3 account and using Fuse to have my S3 bucket appear in as a drive/directory in my system.

Theoretically anyway, I could rsync to that drive/directory and not screw with things like JungleDisk or Ubuntu One (the latter of which isn't terribly useful due to the lack of Ubuntu Lucid desktops in my life ... only have one).
klhrevolution

Jun 23, 2010
12:34 AM EDT
Almost scary how many use amazon in terms of startups, storage for existing businesses and the everyday folk. They offer good pricing but does it not give you a "wtf" moment like how totally bad this could be ? Not just data loss but privacy, security and the whole 9 yards. All I'm saying amazon is everywhere.

Or are we still too busy bashing ms, goog and others ?
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 23, 2010
12:43 AM EDT
I'm not sure what the situation is with Ubuntu One, but the problem with Google Docs, which I do use by the way, is that your data is unencrypted on Google's servers — and unencrypted so they can read it and use it to market to you.

But with Amazon S3, everything's encrypted (if you so choose).
Sander_Marechal

Jun 23, 2010
3:00 AM EDT
Instead of rsyncing to Amazon, why not rsync to a friend?

Quoting:But with Amazon S3, everything's encrypted (if you so choose).

Source? I couldn't find. All I found was a remark that S3 does not encrypt, but that you can encrypt files prior to putting then on S3. But fuse2amazon doesn't support that.

Of course, you could use encfs, but that works with any service.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 23, 2010
1:16 PM EDT
I guess this is why there are so many 3rd-party services that use S3 as the back end. It's sounding just as hard for mortals as it was the last time I looked into it.
krisum

Jun 24, 2010
9:55 AM EDT
SpiderOak claims to do the encryption with keys stored locally: https://spideroak.com/engineering_matters#true_privacy

Carla had an article on it sometime back: http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6644/1/
hkwint

Jun 25, 2010
2:09 PM EDT
Quoting:Instead of rsyncing to Amazon, why not rsync to a friend?

I've been contemplating a P2P-'community'-cloud from time to time, but it's kind of hard. People could leave the cloud and then the data would be gone, or they can loose their connection to the internet.

Otherwise, it would be a good idea, or is it just me?
Sander_Marechal

Jun 25, 2010
6:46 PM EDT
Steven doesn't need to deal with all that. It's not a "cloud", just a simple remote backup to a friend in case your house burns down.

By the way, a p2p cloud close to what you describe already exists: Freenet. That could probably be adapted. On the horizon are also Wuala and MaidSafe Perpetual Data. People are already putting your idea in action :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!