Scroogle Scraper maybe RIP.

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
tmx

Jul 01, 2010
10:24 PM EDT
Came home from another work day, happily did a search on https://ssl.scroogle.org and I got this message:
Quoting:We regret to announce that our Google scraper may have to be permanently retired, thanks to a change at Google. It depends on whether Google is willing to restore the simple interface that we've been scraping since Scroogle started five years ago......That interface was at www .google.com/ie but on May 10, 2010 they took it down and inserted a redirect to /toolbar/ie8/sidebar.html.

I know nobody care about this privacy paranoia and there are many ways to use Google through proxies. I guess it's just a homely feeling because I've been using Scroogle instead of Google for couple of years and its my main search engine in the searchbar.

I still have the "GoogleSharing" addon for Firefox which works great and let you use more Google services anonymously than just search, though it have script errors with a few sites such as newegg.com.
ComputerBob

Jul 02, 2010
9:42 AM EDT
Quoting:I know nobody care about this privacy paranoia...
You're not paranoid if they really are out to get you.

And, in this case, they really are out to get you.

I've used Scroogle SSL as my main search engine since April, 2007. If Scroogle really is dead, I will miss it a lot.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 02, 2010
11:07 AM EDT
Startpage.com still functions.
ComputerBob

Jul 02, 2010
12:16 PM EDT
@Bob - Yeah, that's my second choice. I switched to it (ixquick HTTPS) as soon as I heard the bad news about Scroogle. I'll switch back if Scroogle starts working again.
tmx

Jul 11, 2010
3:03 AM EDT
Whatever happened, they seem to solved the issue and Scroogle is working again.
ComputerBob

Jul 11, 2010
5:17 PM EDT
Yeah, i's been working again for at least the past few days.
ComputerBob

Aug 27, 2010
11:23 AM EDT
SPAM!
jdixon

Aug 27, 2010
11:32 AM EDT
> SPAM!

Yep.
tuxchick

Aug 27, 2010
4:47 PM EDT
SPAM?
gus3

Aug 27, 2010
5:20 PM EDT
Say it isn't so!
jdixon

Aug 27, 2010
7:36 PM EDT
> Say it isn't so!

OK, it isn't so. Anymore, that is. Scott and company must have taken care of it.
bigg

Aug 27, 2010
9:03 PM EDT
@tuxchick

ComputerBob has ESP, and was pre-reporting cheai008's message to Scott.
jdixon

Aug 27, 2010
9:11 PM EDT
What is it about this thread which attracts spam? The Google tie-in, perhaps?
gus3

Aug 27, 2010
9:24 PM EDT
Zap the spam Close the thread And bogus links Will soon be dead

Burma-Shave
tmx

Aug 27, 2010
9:48 PM EDT
I also found this page which talk about Scroogle http://singe.za.net/blog/archives/1005-Scroogle-is-Dead,-Lon... they inturn made a page that route Google search through the Firefox's GoogleSharing proxy instead: http://singe.za.net/privacy/search

I tried searching from this page with the addon GoogleSharing enabled, and the addon did not 'light up' so I assume it is working (similar with Scroogle). Although I did not check in WireShark.
ComputerBob

Aug 27, 2010
9:50 PM EDT
(with apologies to the estate of Dr. Seuss)

I could not, would not, in a house. I would not, could not, with a mouse. I would not read them with a fox. I would not read them in a box. I would not read them here or there. I would not read them anywhere. I do not like your words of spam. I do not like them, Sam I Am.
gus3

Aug 27, 2010
11:40 PM EDT
SELECTing a list SELECTing it twice He already knows who's naughty and nice Scott Ruecker is coming to town!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!