There are 2 conficting choice arguments used against Linux

Story: Are You Intimidated By Breakfast Cereal?Total Replies: 4
Author Content
tracyanne

Sep 04, 2010
10:27 PM EDT
1. That there is too much choice. Too many Distributions, too many applications, too many Desktops, too may configurations.

2. That there is enough choice. There's no application that does XYZ, it doesn't work with ABC.

Both arguments stem from 1 simple assumption, that Linux is a cheap copy of Windows, and should therefore work the same way.
caitlyn

Sep 04, 2010
11:09 PM EDT
TA: That is why, to me, both arguments fail. Linux isn.t Windows. To me that is a *good* thing. I don't like Windows and wouldn't run Linux if it somehow became Windows-like.
tracyanne

Sep 05, 2010
2:42 AM EDT
Agreed, I'm very pleased Linux is not at all Windows like. I can still remember, though, how I had to learn that lesson.

The thing is when I'm using Windows it's the little things, like being able to place the mouse pointer over a window or a scrollable area and start scrolling that I really miss, the Linux desktop knows where I am and responds appropriately. I always have to tell the Windows desktop, otherwise it will respond quite inappropriately.
ComputerBob

Sep 05, 2010
10:43 AM EDT
Quoting:2. That there is enough choice. There's no application that does XYZ, it doesn't work with ABC.
should say:

2. That there is not enough choice. There's no application that does XYZ, it doesn't work with ABC.
tracyanne

Sep 05, 2010
5:54 PM EDT
sorry isn't

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!