tuxchick's "Brand X" website is down

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 29
Author Content
caitlyn

Sep 10, 2010
1:29 AM EDT
Anyone know if "Brand X" is just down short term for maintenance or if it's having problems? I went to submit something there (after submitting it here, of course) and found there was no there to submit to.

Edit: Written Friday September 10, 2010 (3 Tishrei 5177) at 1:30 AM or so Eastern Daylight Savings Time (USA).
gus3

Sep 10, 2010
1:52 AM EDT
Do you have a domain name to check on? I'm not finding anything pertinent via web search.
caitlyn

Sep 10, 2010
2:03 AM EDT
It's up and running now.

I thought all the LXer regulars knew what Carla meant by "Brand X". It's LinuxToday, a major competitor of LXer.com.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 10, 2010
2:08 AM EDT
It looks up to me Caitlyn..I am not worried about LinuxToday being mentioned on LXer.. Much lol!
gus3

Sep 10, 2010
2:08 AM EDT
Sorry, it's late night here, and my brain is running at only 58% efficiency.
caitlyn

Sep 10, 2010
2:21 AM EDT
Hi, Scott. Carla scrupulously never mentions it so I followed her lead.

I already noted that it is back up. :) Good thing, too!
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 10, 2010
2:42 AM EDT
She does it because she is like really cool but I wont put words in her mouth..that would be weird..;-)
gus3

Sep 10, 2010
10:25 AM EDT
Quoting:I wont put words in her mouth..that would be weird..;-)
It would also earn you a smack-down that would be both very fast and very deserved.
helios

Sep 10, 2010
10:56 AM EDT
Hi Caitlyn,

This happens often on this end with LT. I will get the error several times but persistent mashing of the F5 key eventually gets it through. I have found this to happen mostly in the wee hours here and only occasionally during the late afternoon. I am guessing the European users are hitting it pretty hard then.

Just guessing...

h
caitlyn

Sep 10, 2010
12:10 PM EDT
@helios: It was down for longer than that, as in unreachable for at least a couple of hours. That, in my experience, is highly unusual.

Anyway, it's up now so all is well. Also unusual is that fact that they published my last post a little ahead of LXer.com. This site is normally first. Oh well...
tuxchick

Sep 10, 2010
12:12 PM EDT
Sigh...I've been trying for two years to get this fixed. Any and all complaints are welcome! Send them to cschroder@internet.com.
tuxchick

Sep 10, 2010
12:22 PM EDT
Oh, and as for being a competitor-- I don't see it that way. A rising tide lifts all boats, and all that wise yoda stuff. I run LXer Features on LT, Scott runs LT stories here-- the more Linux sites the better!
gus3

Sep 10, 2010
12:40 PM EDT
Wouldn't Master Yoda, "All boats a rising tide lifts"?
helios

Sep 10, 2010
1:28 PM EDT
Again do that and curse you I will...

it's taken me years to remove that particular syntax from my banks...thanx for the refresh. ;-)

h
caitlyn

Sep 10, 2010
1:32 PM EDT
Yoda's syntax seemed perfectly natural if you ever used an HP scientific calculator with RPN way back when....
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 10, 2010
1:33 PM EDT
You are most correct Carla, a rising tide lifts all boats..I like that statement. I think LT is a great site..I just happen to not run it..;-)

@Caitlyn; I must have blinked and they beat me to it because your right, I try to get yours out here first. :-)
caitlyn

Sep 10, 2010
1:51 PM EDT
I don't know how to tell you this, Scott, but Susan over at TuxMachines has beaten you several times. What makes that really odd is that I don't submit my stuff over there. I think she must just monitor the O'Reilly Linux website closely.

I also agree with Carla's sentiment. I prefer the community around this website and the forums here but for Linux news I think both are excellent.

tuxchick: Are you writing for Internet.com now? Cool.
gus3

Sep 10, 2010
2:56 PM EDT
LT boasts the "internet.com" logo at the bottom of the page. E.g.: http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2010-09-10-02... I'm supposing they're the hosting providers.
tuxchick

Sep 10, 2010
3:06 PM EDT
Internet.com is the parent company of Linux Today and Linux Planet, plus a bunch of other sites. I am the Esteamed Senior Managing Editor of Linux Today and Linux Planet, which means I get all the blame and none of the glory. But hey it's a paycheck, which is no small thing these days, and it is fun. I don't get to write as much as I want to, but I have an awesome gaggle of freelancers who I adore, and protect from corporate foolishness with all of my puny managing editor powers.
gus3

Sep 10, 2010
3:16 PM EDT
So, Brand X wear fits in?

;-)
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 10, 2010
3:24 PM EDT
You just made me cry Caitlyn...and here I thought I was good at my job..sniffle sniffle..;-)
caitlyn

Sep 10, 2010
3:44 PM EDT
Scott, you are not good at your job. Your are absolutely brilliant at it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
caitlyn

Sep 10, 2010
3:48 PM EDT
tc: I can relate to the paycheck. I just received a contract for some remote systems admin work (clustered Linux servers, firewalls and the like) and while there is nothing exciting about it I will say that it pays well.

My writing about Linux is limited by the fact that DistroWatch pays relatively little and most of the others stuff I write is unpaid. I wouldn't mind doing more writing if it paid the bills. (Feel free to contact me if you need another freelance writer, BTW.)

Besides, Zephyr is showing symptoms of insulinoma and that is one expensive ferret surgery if confirmed. I know because Chin Soon had it a year and a half ago. Paychecks are good things for pet owners... and everyone else.

hkwint

Sep 10, 2010
7:23 PM EDT
Caitlyn:

Hah, you get the idea now, do you?

First, there's traffic from TuxMachines, then from Brand X, and if it's wee hour where you live, then millions of European LXer'ers kick in!
gus3

Sep 11, 2010
12:05 AM EDT
Linux Today seems to be kaput again.
hkwint

Sep 11, 2010
12:57 AM EDT
Worksforme though?
gus3

Sep 11, 2010
1:33 AM EDT
Sure, 52 minutes later.

And here I am, checking it 88 minutes later.
caitlyn

Sep 11, 2010
12:25 PM EDT
@hkwint: Never mind what happens when Slashdot picks up a story. Talk about traffic!

Even worse is what happens when Penguin Pete picks it up and makes it part of a more controversial post that gets attacked by the children on Linsux and Whamburger blogs. That's what caused me to close comments on the last O'Reilly article I had. I had 152 comments, the majority arguing against the article (and lots of obvious Microsoft fanbois included) and had only deleted something like 2 comments total. I have no problem with disagreement. I have problems with name calling, foul language, and repeat posting and spamming.

Oh well...

Traffic from LXer.com is always a good thing and always welcome.
tqk

Sep 12, 2010
6:54 PM EDT
Quoting:... but I have an awesome gaggle of freelancers who I adore, and protect from corporate foolishness with all of my puny managing editor powers.
That's about all I ever asked of a manager. There's damned too few competents.

Quoting:Even worse is what happens when Penguin Pete picks it up and makes it part of a more controversial post that gets attacked by the children on Linsux and Whamburger blogs.
I guess this's what happens when I completely ignore the Win* sphere; never heard of any of that. My condolences.
tqk

Sep 12, 2010
7:08 PM EDT
Quoting:Oh, and as for being a competitor-- I don't see it that way. A rising tide lifts all boats, and all that wise yoda stuff. I run LXer Features on LT, Scott runs LT stories here-- the more Linux sites the better!
Thanks for this thread. LT is among the better corporate Linux sites. I can even read it with JS turned on, thanks.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!