I have to agree with SJVN

Story: Oracle updates Linux with Unbreakable Enterprise kernel launchTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
caitlyn

Sep 21, 2010
3:42 PM EDT
I expect, as SJVN does, that the new Oracle Linux will be exactly like the old Oracle Linux: Red Hat Enterprise Linux with the Red Hat name removed and the Oracle name plastered all over it. Yes, it will be tweaked for Oracle. SJVN notes that the Oracle announcement has so many contradictions it is impossible to know what is true.

Oracle is a proprietary software company and always has been. They will gladly leverage FOSS to their advantage but don't expect them to make serious contributions. Heck, look what they did with OpenSolaris.
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 21, 2010
3:46 PM EDT
Let's see what Oracle does to Java (other than suing Google, that is)
caitlyn

Sep 21, 2010
3:50 PM EDT
I like that you said "does to Java" rather than "does with Java". The negative implications are perfect for Oracle.
TxtEdMacs

Sep 21, 2010
4:00 PM EDT
Maybe I should go to work for Oracle and forget the amateurs at Microsoft. I really like their really cut throat attitude, whereas MS is just all talk. That is the latter kills at a distance and the former you can smell their bad breath, close and personal mayhem.

YBT
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 21, 2010
4:20 PM EDT
Txt; Oracle has the patents to back up their bravado..unlike Microsoft. I say genuflect yourself to Larry now..;-)
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 21, 2010
4:26 PM EDT
I'm not the most knowledgeable person out there in regard to what exactly the alternatives are, but I do a couple of critical tasks that utilize the Java runtime, and work with a number of Java developers, and I wonder what better alternatives are out there.

TxtEdMacs

Sep 21, 2010
5:20 PM EDT
Quoting:I say genuflect yourself to Larry now..;-)
I would rather not, since I am irreligious. My only burning question is: does it pay well to shill for Oracle?

YBT
DarrenR114

Sep 21, 2010
5:49 PM EDT
Informix used to be a decent alternative to Oracle -- that is, until IBM killed it.
bigg

Sep 21, 2010
5:49 PM EDT
Microsoft is like the criminals in Home Alone. Neither bright or scary. Larry Ellison, on the other hand, is intelligent, mean, and usually only half-informed. That makes him a lot worse.
tracyanne

Sep 21, 2010
5:50 PM EDT
Quoting:I do a couple of critical tasks that utilize the Java runtime, and work with a number of Java developers, and I wonder what better alternatives are out there.

@Steven, there's always C#
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 21, 2010
6:45 PM EDT
So Larry could send Linux users running into the arms of Mono ...
gus3

Sep 21, 2010
7:20 PM EDT
If they care enough to leave Java, they probably care enough to avoid Mono.

Conversely, if they don't care enough to avoid Mono, they probably don't care enough to leave Java.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 22, 2010
8:44 PM EDT
> That is the latter kills at a distance and the former you can smell their bad breath, close and personal mayhem. Txt, ever see Natalie Portman's early movie, "Leon: The Professional"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/

lcafiero

Sep 23, 2010
10:28 AM EDT
Personally, I hate sharing a first name with Ellison, but I do like the idea of people genuflecting to me . . .
TxtEdMacs

Sep 23, 2010
10:29 AM EDT
Bob,

Sorry I have lost taste for most movies, since most are overly compact with some too obvious editing logic holes necessary to meet commercial imperatives. I am currently hooked on long form series, sadly not either American (for the most part) nor even European. I suffer through bad translations and partially overdone content that still delivers, on average, higher quality stories than the afore mentioned sources.

[actually quite serious]

Txt.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 23, 2010
10:33 AM EDT
Txt, _Leon_ is an exception. Seriously. It's a great film.

Agreed about most mass media content. I find I rarely if ever even turn on the TV, I've been enjoying NetFlix streaming (to a WinXP in VirtualBox created for that very purpose) of older movies and documentaries.

Back on topic, I've seen that someone has forked OpenSolaris, and bravo for them!

Maybe, just maybe, Oracle will not commit sepuku on OpenOffice...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!