Wrong in more than a few ways

Story: New life for MandrivaTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
caitlyn

Sep 26, 2010
12:36 AM EDT
Yes, Mandrake closed their development subsidiary, effectively firing a lot of their development staff. Those people who were forced out, some other former Mandriva folk, and some community members have forked Mandriva and created Mageia. However, Mandriva is continuing development with a reduced staff in France, with developers they already had in Brazil, and additional people they are adding in Brazil and Russia. (The new controlling ownership is Russian and is not mentioned in this article.) Mandriva will go on as Mandriva and a new community based release is promised for early 2011. Mageia is a fork, not a continuation of Mandriva. The continuation of Mandriva is called Mandriva.
Glenn101

Sep 26, 2010
9:00 AM EDT
I wish they would revive the old name also. I just liked Mandrake. (and maybe base it on the Debian package management system.)

Glenn
tracyanne

Sep 26, 2010
9:27 AM EDT
@Glenn101, they can't do that, people might confuse it with a comic book character, and then the owners of the comic book would lose sales because of all the people downloading Mandrake Liux.
caitlyn

Sep 26, 2010
2:47 PM EDT
The one place they still have a market presence is Brazil. Better to go back to the Connectiva name. It has less baggage.
jhansonxi

Sep 26, 2010
5:26 PM EDT
Mandriva sounds like "man driven" and is somewhat sexist. Maybe they should set up a partnership deal with mens magazines like Maxim. We've got a lot of religious-themed distros already so why not?
TxtEdMacs

Sep 26, 2010
7:30 PM EDT
Well for those wondering about what to call the most recent corporate successor to the Mandrake line, I was always partial to: Man-Drivel*, which seemed surprisingly apt given the actions of those in charge.

YBT

* Hurry, I have not copyrighted the name yet.
hkwint

Sep 26, 2010
9:13 PM EDT
Man - in all germanic languages - means human being ( http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/man#Etymology ). So what's the problem?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!