gus3

Oct 10, 2010
6:28 PM EDT
I am free not to read them.

For this, I am grateful.
caitlyn

Oct 10, 2010
6:39 PM EDT
How can anyone even vaguely do a proper review on the day something is released? You can review the installer based on one go, I guess, but I usually do at least two installs even before doing that. You can write a commercial on day one, not a useful review.
montezuma

Oct 10, 2010
7:12 PM EDT
I upgraded 2 weeks ago on 3 systems. My review to save you time:

It feels a little quicker and seems a bit more stable than the last release, particularly the printing system. Not much has changed. Upgrade was painless on all systems.
herzeleid

Oct 10, 2010
10:05 PM EDT
What Montezuma said - and I will add to his review with these comments:

The install procedure has been improved. Upon booting the live CD and choosing to install, I was presented with a checkbox that says "go ahead and install the restricted codecs now". This may not seem like a big deal, but it will save a lot of posts by newbies complaining that their mp3s don't play when they click on them.

I was also presented with a checkbox that says "go ahead and download the updates during the install process" which was also a time saver. When the install was complete, the update manager came up and asked me to confirm that I want to install the updates. Those 2 items cut out the bulk of the post-install chores that I need to do.

Steven_Rosenber

Oct 10, 2010
10:54 PM EDT
Due to video with the open-source ati/radeon driver being broken on my system in just about every Linux distribution at present, Ubuntu 10.10 is completely off my radar. Haven't written about it at all. Probably won't, either.

I'll keep checking live images of various and sundry Linuxes and hope for the best in the Fedora 15+ era.
caitlyn

Oct 11, 2010
12:43 AM EDT
@montezuma: That was either a release candidate or the last beta, right? I don't think you can count anything other than the release code as part of the review.
montezuma

Oct 11, 2010
10:41 AM EDT
@Caitlyn, I installed the late beta on one system and RC on the other two and upgraded daily to the release date. I noticed very little instability or change really on any of the systems as the upgrades rolled through. I go this route because the servers are slow as molasses at or just after the release and late betas on Ubuntu are generally pretty stable from my experience over the last few releases.

Incidentally I wasn't attempting a serious review just a quick impression which is what all those so-called reviews were anyway. Look forward to your in depth review on Distrowatch.
bigg

Oct 11, 2010
11:01 AM EDT
> You can write a commercial on day one, not a useful review.

You'll get far more clicks on day one than on any other day.
helios

Oct 11, 2010
11:10 AM EDT
"go ahead and install the restricted codecs now"

But which restricted codecs? Shouldn't it offer all restricted packages? I haven't looked at 10.10 and probably won't for some time, so my comments may be totally useless here. We have tailored our HeliOS Project ubuntu installs using UCK and it's been great. We tend to stay with LTR for our installs as they are easier to manage.

In 10.04, it gave you the option to install restricted packages in the repos but they didn't include a number of things needed for a full experience. Java or Sun-JRE doesn't even show up unless you go to additional hardware in the synaptic repo manager and check mark the "partners" repository. W32 Codecs are not on the radar at all to include the elusive libdvd.css file.

They should offer the whole enchilada of "restricted packages" if they are going to offer any. Of course, as stated, I have not played with it so I do not know.

Just seems to me you do it all or don't do it at all. Hiding some of the most needed stuff just pisses people off. And the open source answer to the java install is hit and miss as well. Pogo.com won't play it without the Oracle package of Java and the SWFDEC mozilla/gnome packages. Hopefully they've put concise instructions on how to install these needed apps and files. Not doing so just opens the door for another flood of "Linux Sucks" comments.

h
helios

Oct 11, 2010
12:31 PM EDT
my bad. It's libdvdcss. "css" isn't an extension.

h
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 11, 2010
5:58 PM EDT
I decided to test Ubuntu 10.10 AMD64 (installed to a USB drive) with the proprietary ATI driver (fglrx), and I can report that it clears up my ATI video issues (blurry, out of sync) without the performance hit I suffered when using fglrx in Fedora 13.

While I still hope the ati driver deals with this (turning off kms doesn't help it), at least I know I can still get video on this laptop in Linux.

So as much as I might think Ubuntu is not what I want, it just might be what I need.
herzeleid

Oct 11, 2010
6:52 PM EDT
As the philosopher Jagger once said -

"you can't always get what you want, but if you try real hard, you get what you need".
tmx

Oct 11, 2010
8:13 PM EDT
I "need" a sexy chick with large breasts who also happen to have a lot of money.
hkwint

Oct 11, 2010
8:36 PM EDT
Seven stories, I'm used to more Ubuntu stories.

Like: four about the background, twelve about the placement of a button, six about three different ways of getting it on a USB stick, three about the font and one and a half about the cleanliness of the windows of the car of the CEO of the company which manufactured the scissor needed for the colostomy of the hamster of Mark Shuttleworth.
tracyanne

Oct 11, 2010
8:55 PM EDT
and then it died... the hamster that is.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 12, 2010
12:47 AM EDT
More Ubuntu benefits (for me personally, anyway): Aside from making my video work (I still hope the open-source ati driver gets fixed, but you wouldn't believe the slowness of the proprietary driver in Fedora 13 and OpenSuse 11.3), the sound fix for the lousy Conexant chip in my el cheapo Lenovo laptop — you know, the one I've tried about 60 different ways in Fedora 13 — worked in Ubuntu 10.10 the very first time. If suspend doesn't take out the network, Ubuntu (despite all of my lengthy previous complaining) will be making its permanent return to my main machine. The new font? I like. Ubuntu, you had me at "everything's not broken."
caitlyn

Oct 14, 2010
7:54 PM EDT
OTOH, one person on DistroWatch today reported lock ups with his laptop hardware. It worked just fine under 10.04. So... as always it is hardware related and, as usual for Ubuntu, there are regressions.
herzeleid

Oct 14, 2010
8:07 PM EDT
Genug with the ubuntu takling points already! Some individual moved from an LTS release to a non-LTS release and reported a problem. It could mean many things, but IMHO a single data point does not a trend make.
montezuma

Oct 14, 2010
10:02 PM EDT
To which I would add the following datapoint. I upgraded another laptop to 10.10 last night and it went completely flawlessly. So on four systems I have upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10. These include two desktops 1 64bit the other 32bit and two Lenovo thinkpads of very different vintages and series. Every single upgrade was completely flawless. That has never happened before with Ubuntu upgrades. Always there were small niggling issues. This time nada. Nice.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!