Happy Thanksgiving to our American Friends

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 35
Author Content
beirwin

Nov 24, 2010
7:07 PM EDT
Have a safe and relaxing Thanksgiving weekend.

Barbara
Bob_Robertson

Nov 24, 2010
7:34 PM EDT
Many thanks, Barbara.

As a descendent of one (very likely many) of the Mayflower immigrants, I will again be re-reading and teaching (to anyone who will listen) the lessons of the successes and failures of the early European settlers in North America.

The Great Thanksgiving Hoax http://mises.org/daily/336

Modern History Sourcebook: William Bradford: from History of Plymouth Plantation, c. 1650 http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1650bradford.html

gus3

Nov 24, 2010
8:18 PM EDT
The women on my dad's side of the family could join the Daughters of the American Revolution... if they could stop laughing at the idea long enough to actually do it.
tuxchick

Nov 24, 2010
8:40 PM EDT
Thanks Barbara! This is a good time to share my favorite heartwarming Thanksgiving story.

=== Grampa's Excellent Fart Pillow ===

Grampa had this ratty old pillow he sat on for many hours every day. It was excellently useful for pacifiying mean Cousin Dean, who picked on us little kids. Smothering him with it for a few seconds made him mellow and benign for hours.

It was also fun to boobytrap the couch with it where one of the uncles always dived for a nap after dinner. It was just like a cartoon, changing direction in mid-air. Levitation is real.

Grampa liked to carry a hunk of Limberger cheese in his back pocket so people would think he pooped his pants. Quite a character, he was.

The end.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 24, 2010
9:07 PM EDT
I am reminded of a passage from Anna Russell's operetta "Write Your Own Gilbert And Sullivan Opera":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yif-5xBbxd4

Beginning at 1:40

We are the Great 400, If you want to know who we are, We put on airs 'cause our for-fa-thers Came over with the May-flow-er, And it's very very snappy If your mammy or your pappy Is descended from the May-flow-er!

By Cromm, what a VOICE! What a wonderful dry sense of humor!
klhrevolution

Nov 24, 2010
9:27 PM EDT
Bob: Thanks for the great links very informative! Nevertheless, I am thankful for all that I do have.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 24, 2010
9:32 PM EDT
KLH, not "nevertheless", things are better now than they ever have been!

Even though I think things are going to get worse, now, before they get better, I'm am grateful every day for all the food I can eat, all the medicine I can take, a home at a temperature I choose it to have, two healthy and generally happy children, and a life-span measured in multiples of what those original settlers could expect.

Wow! What's not to be thankful for?
chalbersma

Nov 24, 2010
9:35 PM EDT
Thanks I love turkey day. Football turkey stuffing and then the perfect excuse to take an afternoon nap. u mad?
gus3

Nov 24, 2010
10:43 PM EDT
Anna Russel Had a great vocal muscle And a droll sense of humor as well...

(Rhyme terminated due to TOS)
gus3

Nov 25, 2010
9:58 AM EDT
Ooh, nice LXer graphic!
Bob_Robertson

Nov 25, 2010
10:07 AM EDT
Agreed, the Cornucopia is a wonderful image.

I'm always happy when I can find a Horn Of Plenty in Nethack.
ComputerBob

Nov 25, 2010
10:25 AM EDT
I've endured far more than my share of life's challenges, but I've also been blessed far more than anyone deserves. I could write a book about all the reasons that I have to be thankful. And I probably will.
jdixon

Nov 25, 2010
11:25 AM EDT
I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 25, 2010
11:34 AM EDT
I'm thankful for LXer and all the cool people, many who have become friends of mine..
beirwin

Nov 25, 2010
12:05 PM EDT
My heartfelt thanks to the LXer crew and all the great folks in the LXer community. In particular I'd like to thank Scott, our fearless leader. :-)

Barbara
cybergal

Nov 25, 2010
1:10 PM EDT
Happy thanksgiving to the American contingent at LXer.
hkwint

Nov 25, 2010
3:21 PM EDT
TC: Think you mean 'Limburg', not "Limberg"?

While I lived in Limburg (as well as being born in Gouda!), I think Limberg doesn't exist.

Apart from "being glad with what you have", I understood the next most important thing about thanksgiving is eating a lot and spending a lot of money the next Saturday. Interesting, because these two things seem to be conflicting. Anyway, if you're celebrating by means of a shopping / eating frenzy, a huge thanks for keeping the economy going!

PS I understood Irish whiskey, Greek feta, Portuguese Port and Spanish olives taste great with turkey.

A wonderful thanksgiving to everybody, even to those who don't celebrate!
tuxchick

Nov 25, 2010
5:42 PM EDT
You're right Hans, it's Limburger. However you spell it, it stinks to high heaven. It tastes good, but I still have a hard time getting past the smell.
gus3

Nov 25, 2010
6:45 PM EDT
tc, it's also phenomenally good for the digestion.
tuxchick

Nov 25, 2010
7:30 PM EDT
gus3, it smells like a product of digestion.
gus3

Nov 25, 2010
8:04 PM EDT
So does yogurt. They're both good for you.
jdixon

Nov 25, 2010
9:56 PM EDT
> So does yogurt. They're both good for you.

Not for me. Yogurt gives me severe indigestion. :( But then so does milk and ice cream, if I have too much. Lactose intolerance.
hkwint

Nov 26, 2010
12:55 AM EDT
Thanks all for open-sourcing your bowel-information, and which smells you do and don't like.

Now, this is becoming a real open- source website!
gus3

Nov 26, 2010
7:47 AM EDT
Don't you mean "Open Sauce"?

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=145164
jimbauwens

Nov 26, 2010
9:38 AM EDT
Hmm, I would like to eat that...
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 26, 2010
2:59 PM EDT
For real - I had the day off (not a given in the news biz) and since it pretty much takes an entire day to install Debian with encrypted volumes, I started it in the morning and finished it up in the evening.
hkwint

Nov 26, 2010
7:19 PM EDT
And, managed to have a fully encrypted LVM? Is such a thing possible? It was a question at StackOverflow, but I believed it couldn't be done as GRUB2 wasn't ready to boot from encrypted partitions yet.
gus3

Nov 26, 2010
8:12 PM EDT
@hkwint, put /boot on a clear volume, and use an init ramdisk to open and mount the encrypted root volume.
hkwint

Nov 26, 2010
9:54 PM EDT
How I did it (once), but the question was if you can encrypt all, including kernel and boot.
gus3

Nov 26, 2010
10:28 PM EDT
http://xercestech.com/full-system-encryption-for-linux.geek

It's Ubuntu-centric, but it shows GRUB2 loading its configuration from an encrypted volume (hence capable of booting from fully-encrypted filesystems).
hkwint

Nov 27, 2010
5:33 AM EDT
Thanks, that was what I was looking for!
Bob_Robertson

Nov 27, 2010
9:19 AM EDT
That decrypting Grub2 looks very interesting. Oh well, there's no "perfect security" once the bad guys get their hands on the hardware. Too many ways to install sniffers, redirect the boot, etc.

The only silver lining is that most "bad guys" are woefully incompetent.
hkwint

Nov 27, 2010
1:29 PM EDT
O darn, I turned a nice "off topic general amusement cosy sing kumbaya" thread into a serious discussion about Linux!

I'm really sorry, and promise to try to prevent this from happening again.

So, did you people enjoy black friday, and how was dinner?
ComputerBob

Nov 27, 2010
1:37 PM EDT
I found a way to save hundreds - possibly thousands - of dollars on Black Friday.

I stay home.
gus3

Nov 27, 2010
8:32 PM EDT
@Bob_R, with the GRUB2 configuration on an encrypted volume, the only reboot redirection possible will be via CD-ROM or USB. And that's easy enough to block with a password on the BIOS.

Even if someone does manage to reset the BIOS and reconfigure to boot from insertable media, with all the volumes encrypted, it'll take a brute-force attack to find even the volume containing the GRUB2 configuration.

PS: If you're worried about keyboard sniffers, turn your system around so the cables are facing you.
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 28, 2010
2:31 AM EDT
Call me crazy, but I must reiterate, restate, recount, re-say, re-play, re-cant..re-rant. How thankful I am for LXer..

I have met so many cool people, that I think I need a drink..

;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!