I uninstalled flash

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Nov 25, 2010
8:40 PM EDT
I'm on an old-fashioned PPC Mac running Debian. There's no PPC Flash but Debian came with Gnash installed. Well, it sucked, so I uninstalled it.

Problem: In Firefox I now get the "missing plugins" notification all over the place. I also get the big white boxes everywhere with the lego block, trying to remind me that I am missing something.

How can I get rid of these? I don't want to ignore every possible missing plugin, but I would like Firefox to not nag me about Flash anymore.
gus3

Nov 25, 2010
8:50 PM EDT
NoScript?

EDIT: NoScript does leave a hole in the page, but that's all. It doesn't pop up warnings all over; it just leaves holes.
joel

Nov 25, 2010
9:45 PM EDT
FlashBlock ?
tqk

Nov 25, 2010
11:00 PM EDT
I must say, since installing flashblock, noscript, and adblock, FF is a lot more manageable now. It's also very educational to see how many external entities a page is phoning home to, most of which I've no interest in giving any data. I don't even know what they're giving them, and with js turned on, they could be doing damned near anything without me knowing about it.

One of these days, I'm going to swear to use w3m exclusively for a week, just to see how much of Berners-Lee's vision still exists.

If only they hadn't killed Usenet, I wouldn't even be on the 'web.'
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 26, 2010
2:58 PM EDT
Sander, I ran Debian Etch PPC for a long time on a Mac G4/466 (single processor), and it was a terrific OS. I'm almost sorry I got rid of the machine (I sold it cheap just to get it off the floor). Debian ran great and pretty much out of the box. I tried Fedora on it at the time, but it was super slow compared to Debian and promised much pain in getting the video configured.

I just did a Debian Squeeze install on my main laptop (long story, more later), and I also usually remove Gnash. This version is much kinder to my CPU than previous builds, but it's not working well enough to keep around.

Have you tried Minitube yet? I used it in Fedora, and it was a very pleasant way to want YouTube videos w/o Flash. I don't even know if it's available for Debian, but I'm betting it is.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 27, 2010
3:24 AM EDT
NoScript worked great to get rid of the empty flash boxes. And I found the setting to turn off the popup about missing plugins.

@Steven: Minitube seems to be on a higher plane of existence in Debian. `aptitude search` says it's there, but `aptitude show` can't locate the package. I'll have to figure out how to fix that.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 27, 2010
1:13 PM EDT
I see Minitube 1.1 in Synaptic in Squeeze. It's got a whole bunch of dependencies, mostly qt-related, so I'm waiting until I have everything else set up first.
klhrevolution

Nov 27, 2010
2:24 PM EDT
I just let totem handle the .flv files using youtube-dl to download the files or I use tinyogg dot com. I've yet to try minitube but it does look promising -- not available in karmic koala ... HTML5 needs to catch on and soon.

eMac 1GHz - 1GB ram
vorbote

Nov 28, 2010
10:14 PM EDT
If you are game, lightspark entered experimental recently. Much, much better than gnash in my limited experience. As Debian is in freeze, you should be able to install it into testing without problems with dependencies.

You cannot post until you login.