LXer client

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 23
Author Content
jimbauwens

Dec 22, 2010
2:35 PM EDT
I made a client for LXer, it uses app indicators (so only ubuntu works for now), and show the latest news, latest discussions and your email. Screenshot: http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1949/lxerrr.png

It is programmed on ubuntu 10.10, so I don't know how it will act on earlier versions. You can download it here : http://jimbauwens.110mb.com/lxer-clientv3.tar.gz Install instructions are in the archive.

Comment and bug report are welcome :-)

Edit: It might be that you have to make lxer.py executable Edit2: I updated the link to a newer version Edit3: Updated the link again
Sander_Marechal

Dec 22, 2010
2:51 PM EDT
Ohh, nice. I don't have Ubuntu (nor a standard WM) but I'll see if I can get it running.
jimbauwens

Dec 26, 2010
5:29 PM EDT
I updated the url above to a newer version, which has some bug fixes, and some code improvements. Also, for non-ubuntuers, I created a non app-indicator version: http://jimbauwens.110mb.com/lxer-client-all-distro.tar.gz I just uses gtk.statusicon, so it should work with many other distros =)

Merry Christmas, and a happy new year!
Sander_Marechal

Dec 27, 2010
7:23 AM EDT
Nice. The only thing I wonder about is logging in over HTTP GET, which discloses passwords as plain text in the URL. But apparently that's what LXer's own login form is doing as well.

Since you're working with Bob on LXer security, could you take a look at converting the login to HTTP POST? Or even better, doing HTTP POST over SSL?
jimbauwens

Dec 27, 2010
9:45 AM EDT
I'll ask Bob what he can do about it =) So, does it work for you? I haven't tested the non app-indicator version extensively, so there might be some bugs.
gus3

Dec 27, 2010
3:40 PM EDT
I haven't looked it over, or tried it out, but here's my US$0.02:

1. Default to read-only (no comment posting) without a special opt-in action to enable password transmission.

2. If someone's feeling generous (with their own money, that is), that someone could buy an SSL cert for LXer.com.

You may now flame away for speaking whence I know little.
jimbauwens

Dec 27, 2010
4:55 PM EDT
I don't think 1. is necessarily if the password and username are transfered securely. For the rest I don't know that much about getting ssl certificates (I don't have any experience with it).
Sander_Marechal

Dec 28, 2010
8:27 AM EDT
Test...
Sander_Marechal

Dec 30, 2010
1:08 AM EDT
I would recommend getting an SSL cert from CACert. They are free and they are a huge supporter of open source. The only downside is that Windows and Firefox don't ship with the CACert root certificate by default. So people using Windows will get a warning the first time they use it that the certificate is not trusted. Linux does ship with CACert root certificates by default so it's a non-issue there.
bob

Dec 30, 2010
11:29 AM EDT
Jim, the LXer login now accepts POST as its default. You can update your client accordingly.
jimbauwens

Dec 30, 2010
5:28 PM EDT
I updated the LXer client to the new authentication system: Non App-Indicator Version (all distro) App-Indicater Version (currently Ubuntu only)
jimbauwens

Jan 11, 2011
12:09 PM EDT
I just noticed that I accidently left my LXer credentials is archives of the client. Happily only in the last version. I removed them now. Since I trust you LXer lads, I will not change my password. Just don't start boycotting me =)
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 11, 2011
1:25 PM EDT
Man, I sure wish we could boycott that Jim guy..Oh Hi Jim! How you doing?

;-)
jimbauwens

Jan 11, 2011
1:34 PM EDT
>Man, I sure wish we could boycott that Jim guy..

Just try =)

I'm doing great :-) I've just become one year older. I'm "adult" now ;-)
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 11, 2011
1:42 PM EDT
What?!? Your 18? Happy Birthday to you my friend!

What is the drinking age in Brussels?
jimbauwens

Jan 11, 2011
1:48 PM EDT
Thank you =)

And about the drinking, don't know, don't care :-)

I'll drink lots of lemonade, and get drunk like that :p
hkwint

Jan 11, 2011
5:27 PM EDT
Yeah, congratulations!
jimbauwens

Jan 11, 2011
5:34 PM EDT
@hans: Thank you! I got a flexible keyboard of my brother, quite handy (you can have it in your pocket, and go to shops and libraries and exploit computers without keyboards, real fun)
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 11, 2011
9:34 PM EDT
And here I was all happy with my split keyboard that doesn't hurt my wrists..

jimbauwens

Jan 12, 2011
4:26 AM EDT
Well, I think your split keyboard is probably allot better to type with than my. But just imagine me taking a flash drive with ubuntu and that keyboard with me. Go to the nearest shop that has a Kodak picture printer thing. It runs Windows, and has usb ports for flashdrives. But of course they will work for keyboards. So I plug both in and reboot (using some keyboard shortcuts), start ubuntu (or whatever, with boottoram) and have some fun :-) Maybe you can even get into the shops network. Of course they may not see you do this :p

Well ehm... Now you guys know I'm crazy ;-)
jimbauwens

Jan 14, 2011
3:28 PM EDT
I just found a memory "leak" in my client, every time it updates (every 10min), it sucks up 4MiB, and doesn't clear it. Probably some pygtk instances that don't get cleaned up. Since i'm quite a beginner to pygtk/python, is there anyone that might help me trace the problem down?
Sander_Marechal

Jan 15, 2011
5:13 PM EDT
I know some PyGTK. Does the leak occur in both versions? Just in the app-indicator version? All-distro version?
jimbauwens

Jan 15, 2011
5:58 PM EDT
Looks to me like its only in the app-indicator version. I think that the problem is that I don't destroy menuitems after I remove them from the menu. I'm looking into that now, maybe its easier to fix than I thought :)
jimbauwens

Feb 11, 2011
6:06 AM EDT
Just a little update: The memory leak is a problem with the App Indicators , not with my application. Feedindicator, a python application that displays rss feeds has the same problem. I am talking with the developer, and we are probably going to file a bug report on launchpad.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!