email service

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 23
Author Content
jimbauwens

Jan 08, 2011
12:05 PM EDT
I've been reading the Legal Terms of google, and this paragraph really bothers me:
Quoting:11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.
I think this means that for every email you send with gMail, Google has the right to do with it what they want.

So I don't want to use gmail as my default email anymore. Does anyone know other online email services that I could switch over to? One with a more liberal terms, and possibly services that use open source software.
penguinist

Jan 08, 2011
1:10 PM EDT
Exactly. I've been wondering for years why people are so willing to surrender their private data to gmail.

In my opinion the best way to regain control is to run your own email. I've used both sendmail and postfix. Both are good.
hkwint

Jan 08, 2011
1:13 PM EDT
Wow, that sounds bad!

Reason no. 1 why I'm still on Microsofts Hotmail, though it's probably just as bad and if not - worse. With Google, you're never sure if they're evil or not. That's why I love good old Microsoft reliability, at least we can rely on them being evil.

Colleague of my uses Yahoo mail, might try that one. You'd have to look here http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/details.html and here http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/mail/mailtos/mailtos-21...

PS cryptomail was really cool while it lasted, you had to provide NO personal details of ANY kind (even not your name), only a loginname. And when signing up you had to move the mouse 'randomly' to generate strong random data to use for encrypted connection. Of course, not an economic viable endeavor, which is probably the reason why it doesn't exist anymore.
jimbauwens

Jan 08, 2011
2:45 PM EDT
I already have a yahoo account, and switched from that to gmail for the features. I still use it, so maybe i'll switch back to use as my main account. First see what the terms say :) Having my own mail server is sadly not an option (yet)
jimbauwens

Jan 08, 2011
2:56 PM EDT
Quoting:Yahoo! reserves and has the right to sell, license and/or display any advertising, attribution, links, promotional and/or distribution rights in connection with Your Content, and Yahoo! will be entitled to retain any and all revenue generated from any sales or licenses of such advertising, attribution, links, or promotional or distribution rights. Nothing in these Additional Terms obligates or may be deemed to obligate Yahoo! to sell, license or offer to sell or license any advertising, promotion or distribution rights.
The Yahoo terms don't look as bad as the ones of Google =)
Sander_Marechal

Jan 08, 2011
5:48 PM EDT
@jim: Why can't you run your own e-mail service? If you are not able to use a simple home server or something, you can always get some decent hosting. If you don't need a website, there are also companies that offer e-mail only hosting. I.e. you register a domain name (10-15 euro a year for .nl) and they give you spave to host it and IMAP and webmail to access it. Works well and is cheap.

For example, a service like fastmail offers 1G IMAP storage for $20 a year.
jimbauwens

Jan 08, 2011
6:33 PM EDT
My isp isn't really nice, it is not allowed to run your own servers, and most ports are blocked. I'm still doing school, so I don't have a job, so I can't pay it. And my family is a bit tight on money .. so I don't have much choise =)
Sander_Marechal

Jan 08, 2011
7:50 PM EDT
Yikes. What a sucky ISP. May I ask, what ISP are you using?

PS: All ISPs should support IMAP (port 143/993) so getting e-mail only hosting is still a viable option. For SMTP, just use your ISPs SMTP server.
jimbauwens

Jan 09, 2011
5:37 AM EDT
My isp is Telenet. This is a quote of some rules:
Quoting:Servers.

Het draaien van servers (bijvoorbeeld mail, news, IRC, ftp, http, ...) is in principe niet toegelaten. Het betreft hier het aanbieden van Internet services die niet passen binnen de Internet dienst.
Telenet does provide an email service, but my father uses that, and I don't know I can have more than one.
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 09, 2011
12:10 PM EDT
Unless your e-mail government secrets I don't think it really matters..then again I am feeling apathetic today..;-)

jimbauwens

Jan 09, 2011
1:02 PM EDT
@Scott: You're alive! I was worried, as the news coming out of phoenix is not so nice :)

Well, I don't agree with that. My email are private no matter what, and no one has the right to look in them.
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 09, 2011
4:01 PM EDT
My thing is, I use Gmail, Reader, Docs, Maps etc.. I'm already in the cloud baby..;-)

I only have time to worry about one TOS..any more than that and my head would pop..lol.

Bob_Robertson

Jan 09, 2011
4:17 PM EDT
Scott, I concur.

I use Gmail for two reasons: convenience of reading on machines that are not my own, and excellent spam filtering.

The expectation of privacy where email is concerned is a dangerous delusion.

Email must be considered utterly insecure. Email is a postcard with the message written in plain sight. Anything actually important should only be sent GPG'd anyway.
tracyanne

Jan 09, 2011
5:22 PM EDT
I'll stick to not using Gmail, Reader, Docs, Maps, thank you very much. You want your private data mined for clues to what you'll buy that's fine with me.
jdixon

Jan 09, 2011
7:34 PM EDT
> You want your private data mined for clues to what you'll buy that's fine with me.

Well, there's a minor problem with that on Google's part. You see, by and large ads don't seem to work on me. They don't seem to work on my wife either. I can't recall a single time in my life I bought something because of an ad I saw or heard. All an ad does is make me aware that a product exists. And while that's not insignificant, it isn't what the company buying the ad is hoping for.

Oh, there have been ads I love over the years (the Coke bottle Pepsi ad, the Wendy's Where's the beef ad, and others like that), but they don't make me buy the products. They're just like good mini-TV shows.
tuxchick

Jan 10, 2011
12:17 AM EDT
I love the M&M ads because they break all the rules-- mascots are supposed to be cuddly and lovable, not snarky. Salon ran a great story "The inner Doughboy-- How an army of admen battle to define and protect the true nature of the Jolly Green Giant, the Pillsbury Doughboy and other advertising spokescharacters." http://www.salon.com/media/col/shal/2000/03/23/doughboy

Quoting: The husband takes a bite of the cookie. He says, 'We got some milk?' The teenage son goes to the fridge, picks up the empty carton, and says, 'We're out of milk, man.' And the husband goes crazy. 'We're out of milk? Who drank the last of the milk?' The whole family turns and looks at the Doughboy. And he's got chocolate on his face, as if he had some of his own cookies. Clearly, he drank the last of the milk. And he turns around and dashes off camera."

"...Unfortunately, the Doughboy couldn't do it....The ad, Manning elaborates, had failed to conform to a series of authoritarian, though kindly, rules that all Doughboy-related work must abide by. "The Pillsbury guidelines stipulate that the Doughboy must always be a helper, a teacher or a friend," he says. "Our spot showed the Doughboy drinking the last of the milk. Therefore he wasn't being a helper. He wasn't being a teacher. And he certainly wasn't being a friend."
Sander_Marechal

Jan 12, 2011
7:11 PM EDT
Quoting:My isp is Telenet. This is a quote of some rules:

They have two packages BasicNet only comes with one e-mail address (what kind of cr@p provider gived out family DSL with just one e-mail address?). ComfortNet has 4.

But better not use that. It means you need to change e-mail addresses when you change your ISP. That sucks. The TeleNet rules only state that you cannot run your own e-mail server from your home. You're free to run anything outside your home of course. In your case I'd recommend registering at 1eurohosting.nl for a basic account. That's 14 euro a year for a domain name + 12 euro a year for webhosting (with unlimited e-mail accounts). So, for a little over 2 euro a month you can be in control of your own e-mail. And you'll have some web space to boot.
jimbauwens

Jan 13, 2011
5:19 AM EDT
Thanks for all the info Sander! I have been thinking on using webhostingpad. They offer a similar price (1,99$) and it has "unlimited" storage, and "unlimited" bandwidth. You can see the specs here: http://www.webhostingpad.com/hosting-features.html, and they are quite high rated on Web Hosting Geeks (4th best place).

Edit: it seem like 1,99$ is only if you take 5 years.
hkwint

Jan 13, 2011
5:20 AM EDT
Sander: Thanks for the tip!
Sander_Marechal

Jan 13, 2011
5:04 PM EDT
Webhostingpad looks nice, but I always shiver a bit when a hosting provider claims unlimited resources. Be sure to read their abuse terms! (e.g. it's an extra $9.95 a month if you go over 10000 files, no more than 10% space may be used by multimedia, etcetera).

Also, they're in the US. If you want to store your e-mail on the server and use IMAP, then you will want a fast connection. 1eurohosting has servers all over the place. I'm pretty sure in Amsterdam too. You may get a faster connection from them.
jimbauwens

Jan 13, 2011
5:31 PM EDT
Indeed, I'll have to looks at all those things before I choose something. Thanks again for spending your time for me :-) Maybe I'll get a 10GiB connection of Belnet, and start my own hosting company :p
jimbauwens

Jan 14, 2011
1:40 PM EDT
@sander, just to let you know, due to updates on Telenet we are get 100GB bandwith, at 50-60Mbit download!
Sander_Marechal

Jan 15, 2011
5:10 PM EDT
Ohhh, nice! I'm jealous. The ADSL switch is 2.5km from my house, so I get a lousy 4Mb down, 265Kb up :-(
jimbauwens

Jan 15, 2011
6:00 PM EDT
And "maybe" (thats a real maybe) we are switching to a business pack, as my dad will need a website sooner or later!

You cannot post until you login.