But Sun released Java under the GPL

Story: Oops: Android contains directly copied Java code, strengthening Oracle's caseTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
number6x

Jan 22, 2011
11:32 AM EDT
But sun released Java under the GPL: http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/13/07242...

Before Oracle purchased Sun, Sun released Java under the GPL. Android Linux is also released under the GPL.

Could this just be the case that Sun did not do an adequate cleanup of comments in files? I have not seen any stories asking Mueller if he can tell is code is from the Java code open sourced by Sun. If the code was not in the open sourced portions of Java was it in the any section 'kept back' by Sun?
bigg

Jan 22, 2011
11:53 AM EDT
Judging from who posted the story, I didn't bother reading it. Some individuals show up at LXer only when there's an opportunity to promote .NET. The story summary meant squat to me so I wasn't going to spend any time on it.
tuxchick

Jan 22, 2011
1:49 PM EDT
Florian Mueller is hardly a credible source. This is just as weak as SCO's briefcase full of literally-copied code.
jdixon

Jan 22, 2011
2:40 PM EDT
> This is just as weak as SCO's briefcase full of literally-copied code.

That was my reaction. First, substantial portions of Java were released as open source, and are free to be reused. Second, certain things like header files and the like have already been determined not to be copyrightable. See the SCO case for the full details. From the information give, there's no way to determine whether the "literally-copied" code has any bearing on the case or not.
Koriel

Jan 22, 2011
6:02 PM EDT
Florian Mueller is a proprietary shill, just about everything he writes is complete and utter twaddle.
viator

Jan 22, 2011
6:04 PM EDT
The files in question are test files which have been deleted from the tree and are NOT included in android as the "article" suggests. Engadget used to be an okay site but as of late theyve been on a major anti google rampage. They always post pro apple stuff 60% of the articles are abt apple but nothing negative abt them. Im thinking there is some payola involved. In any case please dont link to their "articles" any more especially nilay his stuff is complete rubbish!
KernelShepard

Jan 22, 2011
9:34 PM EDT
Hey all, sorry for the link. As you guys have already noted, the information seems to be bunk:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/update-florian-mueller-co...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!