Oracle doesn't get it.

Story: Community vote landslide: Hudson to become Jenkins Total Replies: 9
Author Content
r_a_trip

Jan 31, 2011
11:29 AM EDT
Further proof that Oracle can't be a steward of a FOSS project. They don't get that FOSS is not a branded product that can be protected by holding a trademark or copyrights on the code. The code is licensed in such a way that you either play ball or lose your position in its community.

Whether Jenkins is a fork or not, Orcale just lost any say in what the course ot the software is. They can wave around the Hudson trademark all they want and claim theirs is the "real" CI solution. The future of this software lies with Jenkins now, as all the significant developers have left the Hudson project under Oracle's umbrella.

How many FOSS projects does Oracle still have to lose, before they are stuck with only the proprietary stuff from Sun Microsystems?
helios

Feb 01, 2011
12:23 AM EDT
How many FOSS projects does Oracle still have to lose, before they are stuck with only the proprietary stuff from Sun Microsystems

How many bullets can you pump into your foot until it ceases to be a foot?
Bob_Robertson

Feb 01, 2011
9:25 AM EDT
> How many bullets can you pump into your foot until it ceases to be a foot?

Ask Hosni Mubarak.
jdixon

Feb 01, 2011
9:54 AM EDT
> They don't get that FOSS is not a branded product that can be protected by holding a trademark or copyrights on the code.

They don't get it, but I don't think they care either. If they can't find a way to make money from something, they don't care what happens to it.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 01, 2011
12:15 PM EDT
I'm not sure exactly what's happening with MySQL, but I can imagine that there's a lot of support out there for the various noSQL projects starting up.
tracyanne

Feb 01, 2011
6:00 PM EDT
noSQL isn't SQL.

SQL stands for Structured Query Language. the noSQL database engines don't use SQL.

It's a differnt way of structuring and accessing data, both SQL and noSQL methods have their benefits and drawbacks.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 01, 2011
7:01 PM EDT
Maybe somebody needs to start OurSQL.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 01, 2011
7:07 PM EDT
I hereby submit as a project name, "Squirrel"

"Squirrel! Reliably store your nuts!"
jimbauwens

Feb 02, 2011
3:51 AM EDT
Reminds me of "SquirrelMail - Webmail for Nuts!"
hkwint

Feb 02, 2011
12:01 PM EDT
What happened to MySQL: MariaDB is the GPL(-only) fork. So there's not much need to "switch over" to something else if Oracle abandons MySQL. Oracle's InnoDB storage engine (which it acquired in 2005) seems to be forked by Percona to XtraDB. So I guess that pretty much means they don't have a say in the MySQL-fork as well.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!