Subtitle: Buy my employer's product.

Story: Leaving Flickr Behind: Why You Should Host Your Own Photos and Why Linux Makes It so D@mn EasyTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
ComputerBob

Feb 24, 2011
7:42 PM EDT
Wow, there's a thin line between reviewing a product and shilling for it.

P.S. Does anyone's home ISP allow them to run their own Web server? Mine doesn't.
gus3

Feb 24, 2011
7:57 PM EDT
I ran one for almost 3 years, on that formerly-AOL-associated ISP. DynDNS was my friend.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 24, 2011
8:19 PM EDT
Yes, but only if I do port forwarding from a high-number port, then tell everyone I want to connect to it to use that port.

Or, IPv6, which works just fine.

My ISP routinely blocks port 25 in AND out (except to their SMTP server), and port 80 in.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 25, 2011
11:25 AM EDT
My ISP (XS4All) allows you to run anything you want. By default they block a few ports (like port 25) but you can unblock them by simply changing a configuration setting on their website. You get a fixed IP address as well. I've been running servers off it for years.

They will even help you. When I just set up my first e-mail server at home I called them and asked them to test if I hadn't accidentally left an open relay. They phoned me back in half an hour telling me that it looked safe from the outside, complimenting me on a job well done.

I love my ISP.
tracyanne

Feb 25, 2011
9:03 PM EDT
My ISP is quite happy for me to run my own servers, I don't because of connectivity and Power issues, in rural Queensland.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 25, 2011
9:45 PM EDT
Power? I have never had the power problems that I do here in NC, one of the original 13 states, etc. But it's also the only place I've lived where power is a city-run utility.

I had a little surface-mount resistor or cap, tiny little thing, short out on me on my server motherboard today. The spark, snap, flame and smoke were a dead give-away.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!